Logitech Announces First-Ever MX Mechanical Keyboards Designed for Creation and Productivity

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Logitech has expanded its Master Series with the addition of two new mechanical keyboards: the full-size MX Mechanical and minimalist MX Mechanical Mini.

Go to post

If I didn't already have a bunch of Ducky boards I was happy with, I'd look into something like this.

I like keyboards that are designed for typing first, and that have more conservative designs.

What I am really hoping for is that some company eventually licenses IBM's old buckling spring tech (either in Model F or Model M form) and builds a modern industrial design around it, with backlighting, in a dark or black color with double shot keycaps, N-Key rollover and native USB.

If this happens, I'll drop everything and buy like 5 of them. I know it would be expensive, but it would be well worth it.

Heck, if I ever win the lottery and wind up with more money than I know what to do with, I'll start my own company and do it myself. it would be a passion project. But hey, if you are reading this and want to do it, please steal my idea. I just want the **** product.

Last edited:
I'm with you. I like simple, industrial style designs that are more traditional, but have the switches I want and good back lighting. I don't want media keys, knobs, screens, macro keys or any BS like that.

I actually just started using the G keys on my Logitech G710. I mapped it to ctrl-shift-v for paste in WSL. Turns out, after like 10 years, I found a decent use for them.

I'd say that it really, really depends on the usecase.

I get along with TKLs pretty well, but as my usecase includes desktop gaming, layouts that delete the discrete Function-key row do present a challenge. I don't do a lot of data entry and have gotten better at using the number row, so the numpad isn't a necessity, and I have a USB numpad that I can use when needed.

Absent that, I could get along just fine with a smaller layout and do intend to spend some time with the DeepCool keyboard we just reviewed, as I expect to have more keyboards of various layouts coming across the review desk.

But if perhaps I pick up Tie Fighter again...

I'd say that it really, really depends on the usecase.

I get along with TKLs pretty well, but as my usecase includes desktop gaming, layouts that delete the discrete Function-key row do present a challenge. I don't do a lot of data entry and have gotten better at using the number row, so the numpad isn't a necessity, and I have a USB numpad that I can use when needed.

Absent that, I could get along just fine with a smaller layout and do intend to spend some time with the DeepCool keyboard we just reviewed, as I expect to have more keyboards of various layouts coming across the review desk.

But if perhaps I pick up Tie Fighter again...

Yeah, I frequently use the numpad. Not just for work.

I'm constantly calculating things. I don't use the calculator app much, but if I have something kicking around my head I need a quick answer to I usually just pop open Excel (or LibreOffice Calc) and pop a few numbers into cells to do the math. That would be frustrating if I didn't ahve the numpad. It would also be frustrating if I had to go look for the numpad to plug it in, as the numpad isn't something I just use occasionally for entering large sets of data. I do short little calculations several times a day. A little math every few minutes throughout the day to answer those "I wonder if" questions that randomly pop into your head.

Also, anything that requires me to ever use an Fn key like those 65% or 60% (or whatever % they are) keyboards is just going to make me want to stab people. The added frustration is WAY greater than the minimal desktop real estate I regain. I'd rather just buy a larger desk.

Also, for gaming, I'm one of those weirdos who never understood why games switched away from arrow keys as their default to that WASD nonsense. Arrow keys worked just fine in early games. There was no reason to switch away at all.

So I never play a game without remapping ALL the keys to my preference. Most of the basic mapping match those of early FPS games like Quake. The others I have added in over the years as new keys have become necessary.

- Arrow keys for movement (forward, back, strafe left & right)
- Enter is "use"
- Right shift is sprint
- Right Ctrl is crouch
- Mouse 1 is Fire
- Mouse 2 is jump
- For games that use a heal function, I usually use \ or backspace for that.

Then I use the 6 keys above the arrow keys for things. usually:
- Del is reload
- End is drop
- PgDn is Aim / Fire2
- PgUp and Ins are lean right/left (if present)
- That leaves the Home key for some random game function

I also use the numpad in games. The numbers are usually quick weapon switches.
0/KP_INS winds up being quick melee
./KP_DEL usually winds up being quick grenade

I also invert the vertical axis of my mouse.

These controls are so ingrained now after almost 30 years of using them, that I am not even going to bother trying to change. I don't see the point of going to WASD at all.

If games don't support remapping ALL the keys, I usually just don't play them, and post angry messages to their support forums. In a modern title absolutely NOTHING should be hard coded, and no key should be excluded from use in binds.

If it is a title I am really interested in, and they don't get their act together with the keybinds, I occasionally edit the registry to remap the keys in Windows itself.

Yeah, I frequently use the numpad. Not just for work.
Not only do I need a numpad, but I also need a normal layout for Insert/Home/PageUp/Delete/End/PageDown. Which is just one of many reasons why laptop keyboards piss me the f*ck off. The flat keycaps are another thing I can't stand.

Also, anything that requires me to ever use an Fn key like those 65% or 60% (or whatever % they are) keyboards is just going to make me want to stab people.
And here we have yet another reason why I can't stand laptop keyboards. I sure as **** don't wanna be dealing with this nonsense on a desktop PC.

Also, for gaming, I'm one of those weirdos who never understood why games switched away from arrow keys as their default to that WASD nonsense. Arrow keys worked just fine in early games. There was no reason to switch away at all.
I use WASD out of comfort. The arrow keys are too far to the right. Not enough room on my current desk to slide the keyboard to the left to more easily access the arrow keys, but even if I could, I dunno it just feels weird and awkward. I get where you're coming from through. If you think WASD is weird, I have a friend who uses ASDF.

With my current desk, my keyboard and mouse are on a slide-out tray. The mouse is perfectly flat with the right arm rest on my chair, and WASD lines up very well with the left arm rest. Altogether makes for some very comfortable gaming, as far as my arms and wrists are concerned.

I like the sound of your layout though, seems very interesting.

In a modern title absolutely NOTHING should be hard coded, and no key should be excluded from use in binds.
D4mn straight.

I use WASD out of comfort. The arrow keys are too far to the right. Not enough room on my current desk to slide the keyboard to the left to more easily access the arrow keys, but even if I could, I dunno it just feels weird and awkward.

You know, there is a rather easy solution to that problem that doesn't require adopting a new keyboard layout :p

I get where you're coming from through. If you think WASD is weird, I have a friend who uses ASDF.

I mean, I'm a proponent of anyone using what they are comfortable with. PC's are all about customization.
I was always a little bothered by the fact that the WASD keys are not perfeclt alighned. Like, the W for forward is above and to the left of the D on most keyboards.

That, and by the time someone invented WASD I already had a perfectly usable solution. There really wasn't a reason to change.

I know what you mean about odd layouts though. A friend of mine used to use (may still evne use it) left mouse as his forward button...

With my current desk, my keyboard and mouse are on a slide-out tray. The mouse is perfectly flat with the right arm rest on my chair, and WASD lines up very well with the left arm rest. Altogether makes for some very comfortable gaming, as far as my arms and wrists are concerned.

Ah, the slide out tray could cause a space constraint, which might might preclude the "pushing it to the left" solution.

I've never been able to use those. The trays beneath the desk are always too low for my hands to rest comfortably, and I tend to always hit my knees on them. That said, I'm 6'3" (190cm) tall though, so I may not be the average user :p

I like the sound of your layout though, seems very interesting.

It has no design philosophy underlining it. it is essentially the good old Quake default layout (maybe even the Half-Life default layout? I can't remember) then adding keys wherever they fit as it became necessary to have mor ebinds when Counter-Strike hit the scene in ~2000.

It works for me. Everyone should use what works for them :p

Become a Patron!
Back