Broadcom to Acquire Cloud Services Leader VMware for Approximately $61 Billion

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Broadcom has shared a press release confirming its plan to acquire VMware in a deal worth approximately $61 billion in cash and stock.

Go to post

This is huge... I'm curious to see what it does to licensing deals and the market going forward.

I always thought it was odd that VMWare became a Dell property.

This is an even odder coupling.

I always thought it was odd that VMWare became a Dell property.

This is an even odder coupling.
You have to remember how VMware was created. VMware was a company created by Dell and EMC in a joint venture establishing the 3rd party which was majority owned by EMC. When Dell purchased EMC for 60 some odd billion VMware was a part of that merger. Later they sold off VMware as it's own company and it has sense grown quite nicely. Now it is 40% owned by Dell but a traded company being majority owned by Broadcom. I find it interesting that Broadcom is big enough to do this and it makes me want to find a infrographic showing what Broadcom owns.

Wow... this will be a bit of a topic change...
1653626209081.png

So looking at this in 2018 Microsoft was worth 883b In 2021 they were worth 2.2 TRILLION. Their market cap almost tripled in 3 years... that IS INSANE. Amazon wasn't even a trillion dollar company 4 years ago?! WTF...

And we wonder why we have inflation...

I thought MS Azure and Amazon Cloudfront were the biggest cloud providers.

Broadcom is one of the largest OEM providers of enterprise network solutions. That also includes switches and some other things. They are the defacto OEM for both Dell and HPE. When you order a server, it's got a Broadcom NIC in it unless you pay more for Intel controllers. That's worth while as Broadcom has largely always made subpar NICs.

Become a Patron!
Back