Zaunkoenig M2K: World’s Lightest Gaming Mouse Weighs Only 23 Grams with Hollow Carbon Fiber Design

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Zaunkoenig began shipping its one-of-a-kind M2K gaming mouse around a year ago, but positive reviews for what the company has billed as the world's lightest gaming mouse continue to roll in.

Go to post

I've never in 40 years of oc use and gaming actually wanted a lighter mouse. I'm the person that puts ALL of the optional weights in their mouse. I've also never had mouse fatigue.

Perhaps these people that want a ultralight mouse (health issues aside) need to go out and do something with their arms besides play with a mouse.

I'm hardly a poster child for "professional" gamers, but I tend to like my mice just like my women -- as heavy as I can get them

I like light mice and light controllers. Some controllers like the Switch Pro Controller and DualShock 5 are too heavy for my tastes. My friend has an Xbox Elite controller, and I recall finding that one to be a bit too heavy as well. I was not happy that the Logitech G502 series has been heavier than previous Logitech mice I've used (like the G500s, G5 v2, and MX510) - and that's with none of the optional weights installed. Older Logitech mice with weights I did use some of the weights, but there was no need with the G502 Proteus Spectrum and Hero.

I'm hardly a poster child for "professional" gamers, but I tend to like my mice just like my women -- as heavy as I can get them
More cushion for the pushin' eh? Well, whatever floats (or sinks - get it?) your boat. I tend to prefer my women on the slimmer side myself.

I've never in 40 years of oc use and gaming actually wanted a lighter mouse. I'm the person that puts ALL of the optional weights in their mouse. I've also never had mouse fatigue.

Perhaps these people that want a ultralight mouse (health issues aside) need to go out and do something with their arms besides play with a mouse.

Same. I cracked open my MX518 (new version) and added tungsten putty (the kind you use to tune pine derby cars) to make it heavier.

For me, the 101g it weighed out of the box was just too **** light. I require more weight for stability and tracking.

I added 3oz of putty to make the mouse 186g, and now it is perfect. I have done it to two more since.

YouTubers and streamers have convinced kids that in order to perform well in competitive games they need super light mice, really large mouse pads, low sensitivity and to move their entire arms while gaming.

I think it is stupid. I hope these kids don't all get some kind of terrible repetitive strain injuries out of it all...

For me it's all about heavy mice, with a sensitivity that allows a full range of motion without the palm of your hand ever moving from it's fixed place on the desk, with no weight resting on the mouse. The fingers just gently guide it.

I've been using a RatPadz XT (lost my old RatPadz GS) and a fUnc Archetype 1030 for many years now. That's all the mousing surface I need to move the cursor comfortably across 3 monitors (and I don't even get to use the full surface due to overlap from keyboard due to keyboard tray). Don't need some gigantic-@ss mousing surface. Never been a fan of cloth mousing surfaces anyways. I got the mouse sensitivity juuuust right so that my wrist/slight arm movements can control a very wide but accurate and precise range of motion (not to mention I can adjust DPI on the fly when needed). It's like I am moving the mouse cursor with my mind, it feels so natural. Works out great in first-person shooters, Photoshop, whatever. Plus the arm wrest of my chair is level with the keyboard tray, so from wrist to elbow my arm is comfortably resting. Makes for greater stability and control of the mouse, while reducing the workload on the wrist. The sh1t today's kids do with the low sensitivity and wide arm movements, it's not for me. Surprised they can use a mouse like that.

I've been using a RatPadz XT (lost my old RatPadz GS) and a fUnc Archetype 1030 for many years now. That's all the mousing surface I need to move the cursor comfortably across 3 monitors (and I don't even get to use the full surface due to overlap from keyboard due to keyboard tray). Don't need some gigantic-@ss mousing surface. Never been a fan of cloth mousing surfaces anyways. I got the mouse sensitivity juuuust right so that my wrist/slight arm movements can control a very wide but accurate and precise range of motion (not to mention I can adjust DPI on the fly when needed). It's like I am moving the mouse cursor with my mind, it feels so natural. Works out great in first-person shooters, Photoshop, whatever. Plus the arm wrest of my chair is level with the keyboard tray, so from wrist to elbow my arm is comfortably resting. Makes for greater stability and control of the mouse, while reducing the workload on the wrist. The sh1t today's kids do with the low sensitivity and wide arm movements, it's not for me. Surprised they can use a mouse like that.

I agree.

I've been using nothing but my Ratpadz, most of which I bought before they were called XT when there was only one Ratpad. Only downside is that they keep warping. I'm going to have to find a better way to bend them back than when I am using now.

If you were to go on youtube however, you will find tons of 1337 Gaming youtubers telling all the children that they absolutely have to have a desk sized mousepad, use super low sensitivity, and move their mouse arms at the shoulder or elbow instead of the wrist.

Like this:

And then all the kids get on the hype train and imitate it because "OMG a CSGO Pro does it" and start begging their parents for a 3x5ft mouse pad.

They then proceed to ride their entire arm around on top of their mouse as if it were some sort of vehicle, and then insist that having the lightest mouse possible is extremely important for performance, not considering for a moment that in this use scenario their entire mouse and arm move as a unit, and compared to the several pounds an arm weighs, the few grams here or there on the mouse doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

The basic premise makes sense (sort of) in that if you have lower sensitivity, it requires less fine movements in order to get those "lol 360 noscope headshots", but what it fails to take into consideration is that our arms have not evolved to have the same level of precision movement as our hands and fingers have, so when I use a higher sensitivity, barely putting any weight on my mouse, and resting most of my arm on the desk on the desk, and just gently nudging the mouse with my fingers, I get very high precision finger movement, and can thus gain similar accuracy with much higher sensitivity, and don't need as large of a physical range of motion.

Meanwhile, I rely on precise fingertip movements at a higher sensitivity, and have somehow escaped repetetive strain injuries despite doing this for going on 30 years. (knock on wood)

I've been using nothing but my Ratpadz, most of which I bought before they were called XT when there was only one Ratpad.
Was it one of these? https://hardforum.com/threads/ratpadz-xt.2017393/post-1045322029
The first one I got was the GS, then later an XT. Wish I had one of the earlier ones too, but as with you, people complained about warping.

Ah, Kyle said "Flames is the first edition. The middle one was second revision." He also said the XT stands for "Extra Texture." I have never used a mouse pad or mousing surface that has worked better for optical mouse tracking than the XT.

Was it one of these? https://hardforum.com/threads/ratpadz-xt.2017393/post-1045322029
The first one I got was the GS, then later an XT. Wish I had one of the earlier ones too, but as with you, people complained about warping.

Ah, Kyle said "Flames is the first edition. The middle one was second revision." He also said the XT stands for "Extra Texture." I have never used a mouse pad or mousing surface that has worked better for optical mouse tracking than the XT.
Yep, my first one was the middle one with the silver logo.

That's completely worn off by now, and I've had to replace the feet, but otherwise it's like brand new, what, 20 years later? :p

I have a couple of extras that never had any prints on them as well. I bought those when Kyle was shutting down the business and selling off the last stock.

I have two XTs that I love. I ~was~ letting my son use one for his gaming rig -- until I caught him using it as a cutting board for his model car stickers. Fortunately it seems to have weathered that abuse fairly well and it's still usable, but it no longer washes up to look "like new"

I have two XTs that I love. I ~was~ letting my son use one for his gaming rig -- until I caught him using it as a cutting board for his model car stickers. Fortunately it seems to have weathered that abuse fairly well and it's still usable, but it no longer washes up to look "like new"
My stepson was using one of mine for a while.

He didn't do any damage to it, but he wanted one of the silly huge mousepads the YouTubers are pushing instead, so I took it back :p

Mine is some crappy 6 year old loot crate thing that I want to replace. A good mousepad is in order. Any recommendations for something that can be bought?

Mine is some crappy 6 year old loot crate thing that I want to replace. A good mousepad is in order. Any recommendations for something that can be bought?

Man, I'd be happy to help, but as an inadvertent side effect of the awesome longevity of my Ratpadz, I haven't actually cross-shopped any mouse pads since getting that first Ratpad in 2001. Last non-ratpad I bought was probably my 3M PMS (precise mousing surface, not that other thing) which I remember being OK in like 1999, but a little small by modern standards, even before the kiddies started buying table sized mouse pads.

If I were researching today, I'd probably lean towards a hard mouse pad like the Ratpad. There have to be other manufacturers.

When I bought my Kepler Titan in 2013, it came in a collectors box with a T-Shirt and a hard mouse pad, but I don't know who made that mouse pad. (I never took it out of the box, it's still in there in my closet in the box with the T-Shirt) But at least I know others must make them. I feel like there was a time in the mid to late oughts that every gaming company out there copied Kyle's Ratpad idea and sold them. Some of them must still be on the market.

I bought a Logitech hard pad, it's flatter and bigger than a ratpad (although not huge)- needed something that would fit with a mouse inside one of those pullout drawers and the ratpad was just a hair too thick.

It used it for about 6 months before i went back to the radpad and the logitech was already showing wear... not really recommended. I pull my mouse out before I shut the drawer now - that ended up being the better solution. I had flipped it twice to try to keep the wear and dirt down, but it just doesn't seem up to the task of my cheeto-loving game playing habits.

So, sorry - not really a recommendation of what to buy - just something that didn't work out.

Become a Patron!
Back