Top Gun: Maverick Flies Past $1 Billion at the Worldwide Box Office

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Top Gun: Maverick has managed to earn more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office, an incredible milestone for action star Tom Cruise, who has been in the business for 40 years but hasn't starred in movie that has made such a tremendous amount of money until now.

Go to post

Proof that if the rest of hollywoo would stop screwing around they could basically print money. If only they focused their efforts on entertaining, rather than preaching.

How much of this is because for the most part there hasn't been any good movies coming to theaters for years? I've had very little desire to see anything in a theater in a long time and have probably seen at most two movies in the theater in the past two years. There have been tons of people just waiting for an excuse to see something good in the theater and it's likely this movie just happened to hit the sweet spot for the time.

I'm not putting the movie down and I haven't seen it. From just about everything I've seen it seems to be a movie which banks on nostalgia but does it right and doesn't hit you over the head with outrage or message of the week. It's simply a movie for the sake of making a movie.

Just goes to show all people want us a good, fun, entertaining movie. No politics, no agenda, no message. Give us that and you'll make money hand over fist.

I'm also OK with fan service.... We got a lot of it in Kenobi but it was done in a more "respectful" way as opposed to just flung out there to grab some cheap points.

How much of this is because for the most part there hasn't been any good movies coming to theaters for years? I've had very little desire to see anything in a theater in a long time and have probably seen at most two movies in the theater in the past two years. There have been tons of people just waiting for an excuse to see something good in the theater and it's likely this movie just happened to hit the sweet spot for the time.

I'm not putting the movie down and I haven't seen it. From just about everything I've seen it seems to be a movie which banks on nostalgia but does it right and doesn't hit you over the head with outrage or message of the week. It's simply a movie for the sake of making a movie.
Almost every piece of Marvel drek was hitting $1bn before COVID. Audiences have been slow to return to theaters and movie grosses have been far from pre/early 2020 levels.

Hitting $1bn now is an outstanding accomplishment. I haven't seen this movie yet, but I've heard nothing negative. The only detractors I've heard of are the Chinese pissed that Maverick has a Taiwan flag on his jacket. It's become pretty unusual for a movie studio to  not go out of their way to cater to the China market.

Maybe the secret is exactly making "a movie for the sake of making a movie" and telling a story.

Last edited:
This pretty much guarantees another sequel or maybe a spinoff with Rooster and the other pilots.

Proof that if the rest of hollywoo would stop screwing around they could basically print money. If only they focused their efforts on entertaining, rather than preaching.

I think this is a disservice to the movie. While some of it might 'bank on nostalgia,' it's clearly evident that time, care, and outstanding visuals have created one of the most memorable films I've seen in years. When watching, you can easily see the elevated craft of film on full display. They created an excellent story, built on it with amazing practical effects, and went the extra mile to make it punch home. The original Top Gun isn't as good a movie.

This pretty much guarantees another sequel or maybe a spinoff with Rooster and the other pilots.
I sure hope not. Sadly, I think it could only go downhill from this one. I don't know how you could make it better.

Become a Patron!
Back