Xiaomi 12S Ultra Announced with Leica Camera and Massive 1-Inch Sensor from Sony

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Xiaomi has announced the 12S Ultra, a new flagship smartphone that is sure to draw tremendous interest from photographers.

Go to post

Oh my what a big camera you have.

So much better to spy on you with, my dear.

Seriously, anyone who buys a Chinese branded phone is a **** fool.

I think the interesting thing here is the flipping 1 inch sensor. (You know why DSLR's or whatever they are called now are so much better than a smart phone can ever be.)

I think the interesting thing here is the flipping 1 inch sensor. (You know why DSLR's or whatever they are called now are so much better than a smart phone can ever be.)

It is. I mean, it's not getting close to real cameras yet, but it is certainly getting bigger:

1657046058138.png

Phone sensor sizes are measured differently than big camera sensors. I think the 1" is the diagonal length (not sure) whereas the 35mm is the length of the side, so there is still a ways to go for phone sensors to compete with camera sensors. This appears to represent ~half of the sensor area as a crop factor DSLR sensor like Nikons DX, and the DX is already at a huge disadvantage when compared to a 35mm "full frame" camera. But still, this is huge for a phone.

It is also going to require a weird lens to get the light on that sensor at such close distances as inside of a phone case. I'm having a difficult time picturing it right now.

It is. I mean, it's not getting close to real cameras yet, but it is certainly getting bigger:

View attachment 1726

Phone sensor sizes are measured differently than big camera sensors. I think the 1" is the diagonal length (not sure) whereas the 35mm is the length of the side, so there is still a ways to go for phone sensors to compete with camera sensors. This appears to represent ~half of the sensor area as a crop factor DSLR sensor like Nikons DX, and the DX is already at a huge disadvantage when compared to a 35mm "full frame" camera. But still, this is huge for a phone.

It is also going to require a weird lens to get the light on that sensor at such close distances as inside of a phone case. I'm having a difficult time picturing it right now.
Will probably need some sort of periscope configuration.

Become a Patron!
Back