Tesla Plans to Demo Steam Integration Next Month

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Steam integration is coming to Tesla vehicles, and owners should be able to get their first peek at how that'll work fairly soon.

Go to post

Only in if they can use the headlights as a projector

Why the hell would I want this in my car? I'm struggling to find a use case short of letting someone else play games.

This is just dumb. I don't understand why you would want your car to have games.

For me gaming is a one trick pony.

Unless I can sit at my perfect setup at my desk, I don't don't play. It can wait.

I won't play on a laptop, I won't play on mobile and I won't play in the living room. No way no way. Desktop at my proper desk in my proper chair, or nothing at all.

Tesla gotta do something other than a car I suppose.

It's already weird that Teslas come with games like Witcher 3, Sonic the Hedgehog, Cuphead, Cyberpunk 2077, and more, but now Steam integration?! What in the actual f*ck is going on over there?! I can only see this being handy for kids on car trips. As I kid, I never really could get into gaming on the road cuz it would give me hella motion sickness, whether I was using a portable console like a Game Boy, or using the TV in my parent's old van to play home consoles (or watch VHSes). Even reading a book would give me motion sickness. Can't use my phone for long periods of time in a moving vehicle as well. As an adult I don't do long car trips often, and when I do I'm either driving or sleeping.

It's just a publicity stunt as ever. The ones salivating over this are either tesla shills, or wannabe shills, who don't even have a tesla. Probably about 0.00001% of actual buyers will ever use such a feature.

You know when it would make sense? If autopilot wasn't a lie, and you could play while driving. Otherwise who the hell spends time in their car outside of driving? What you have to wait 5 minutes for someone and you load up the Witcher 3? LOL, maybe you'll get through the first quest in a thousand years.

This seems to be a fad now. Even the Ford/Lincoln vehicles that come with the larger screens have games currently.

Otherwise who the hell spends time in their car outside of driving?
When I'm cleaning my car's cabin? Or when I am sleeping in it? Or maybe I wanted to peruse the manual (or in modern cars, explore the infotainment system). But no, let me leave my house, go sit in my car, and play video games there. Drain the battery while I'm at it (unless I happen to be parked somewhere where I can charge the car). Especially makes sense in the heat of summer. Unlike pets and small children/babies left to die in cars under the sun, at least I will have video games. All those poor pets and kids could do was look out the window.

Games built into the car could be handy if you drop your woman off somewhere, and she says she's gonna be back in 10 minutes, but 3 hours later your dumb @ss is still sitting there. Might be better than playing something on your phone. Maybe leave a controller in the car, hook it up to a USB port, and then you can play something decent on the screen. Go through a few levels in Sonic or tackle a quest in Witcher 3 while you wait. And now with access to your Steam library, who needs a Steam Deck when your entire car is a Steam Deck? Works out great if you didn't happen to bring a handheld console with you (which I stopped doing after I got robbed in 2010). When I used to give rides to people and had to wait for them, if they took longer than a pre-agreed-upon amount of time, I would start my car and roll out.

Video games in the car? How about a toilet? If you're waiting that long the urge might hit ya. When Nature calls, you gotta answer. It'd be nice if the regular folks who don't have motorhomes could urinate or defecate in the privacy of their own vehicles with ease. You see Tesla, if you wanna sell me a car, don't throw video games in there, I don't give a sh1t about that when I'm on the road. I need a place to empty my bowels in peace. The same seat where I make record lap times could also be the same seat where I expel waste from my body. The car company whose car sets a record time on the Nurburgring while the driver is also simultaneously taking a sh1t is the company that is most likely to get my hard-earned dollars (I live that IBS lifestyle).

Unless I can sit at my perfect setup at my desk, I don't don't play. It can wait.

I won't play on a laptop, I won't play on mobile and I won't play in the living room. No way no way. Desktop at my proper desk in my proper chair, or nothing at all.
You know d4mn well Metro Exodus would have been waaaaay more immersive if you were playing in a Tesla, and for each area you visited in the game, you drove to a similar-looking area in real life (closest approximation at least). You should take a trip to New Mexico and go through Black Mesa again in the car (though I'm not sure what you can do about the Xen levels). I'm sure the GPU in the car is as good as your 6900 XT, and the screen is probably an easy match for your primary display at home. F*ck your "proper chair," and "proper desk," nothing is better than trying to use a mouse and keyboard on your lap under the steering wheel, while you look at a screen that is not directly in front of you.

Guys, I'm imagining a GTA game or a racing game using augmented reality, seen through the windows of your Tesla vehicle, where you use your Tesla to perform actions in real-life that have an effect on the game. Imagine a Need For Speed overlaid on top of the real city streets you're currently driving on, with checkpoints and a route through the city you have to take. The only thing though, those cops behind you aren't part of the game. No those are real cops. You've been driving like a madman after all. But hey, that adds to the immersion.

Otherwise who the hell spends time in their car outside of driving? What you have to wait 5 minutes for someone and you load up the Witcher 3? LOL, maybe you'll get through the first quest in a thousand years.

Maybe it's all of those people who can't afford homes but are buying $70k electric cars to live in :p

I'm with you. As soon as I am done driving, I'm out of my car. Even if I had an extended wait in my car, I wouldn't want to play a game there. I'd just read the forums or news on my phone or something.

Become a Patron!
Back