Netflix Reports Loss of 970K Subscribers in Q2 2022, Confirms Ad-Supported Tier for Early 2023

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Netflix has released its Q2 2022 financial results, and things aren't as gloomy as the streamer had originally predicted.

Go to post

A loss of almost a million subscribers isn't anything to ignore, but coming off the pandemic, when people aren't stuck at home as much, it shouldn't be a surprise that subscriber numbers may have come down from the pandemic bubble.

That, and Netflix was once the only game in town, now there are competitors. All things considered, this really isn't terrible given the realities of the market.

I'm really thinking the subscription model isn't the way forward for online video content. These services would like to think that you are going to stay subscribed and just watch whatever they pump out, much like a cable subscription, but in practice that's not the way it works. When a new show comes out, people sign up, watch the season until it is over, and then drop their subscription.

Because of this, an outright sale model makes a lot more sense. Buy the shows you want, not the ones you don't, otherwise it just winds up being a dumb annoying juggling act of subscribing, dropping, and subscribing again to whatever service has the latest trending season of a show.

Because of this, an outright sale model makes a lot more sense. Buy the shows you want, not the ones you don't,
Kinda.

One off movies, yeah, I'd rather just rent/buy them than subscribe then have to resubscribe.

But the sub once in a while, binge like there is no tomorrow, then unsub before you forget about it -- if you let the shows you want kinda build up a bit, you can get an awful lot in there for one or two month's cost.

I can kinda see it both ways, and do both of them depending on if I'm willing to let the show park until I get back to the service, or if I'm hyped enough about it to jump on it early.

970K is a big number, but what does that represent percentage-wise?

970K is a big number, but what does that represent percentage-wise?

Other sites are reporting a 1.3 million subscriber drop, so there appears to be some confusion over the numbers. Maybe it is U.S. vs Worldwide?

Either way:

Netflix now reports it has 73.28 million paid subscribers in the US and Canada and 220.67 million worldwide.

I honestly watch any streaming service very little, but the wife wants them so of course we all know who wins there...:cautious:

I've never been a subscriber to any streaming service (I prefer to run media from local storage), but I dabbled with Netflix when my family had a shared account. The low video and audio quality combined with shows/movies being rotated out meant I didn't try it for too long before I went back to my usual ways. I think my sister and her husband got Disney+ through some kind of FiOS package or some sh1t, but I've never tried using it. Don't know if they still have it (I doubt it). I don't know if anyone in my family still subscribes to Netflix. I'd be surprised if they did. I don't think they use any of the other streaming services. Call me crazy, but cuz I grew up in a time where A.) we didn't have Internet, B.) we didn't have always-on Internet, I still tend to not rely on sh1t that requires an Internet connection, if I can help it. I like software and media I can use completely offline.

Become a Patron!
Back