NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Rumored to Cost Less than GeForce RTX 3090 Ti, with 450- and 650-Watt Variants

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA's next flagship graphics card isn't going to be cheap, but its premium may not be as extreme as some might have feared.

Go to post

I paid over $1000 for my 2080Ti, and I think that was already excessive, I don't want to make a habit of it. I'm only comfortable paying $500-600 for a GPU. So until there is something significantly better than my 2080Ti in that price bracket, I'm sitting on the sideline.

I'll be holding onto my 3090 Ti for a while until I can't max everything out in a game, and by that time I may be not playing games much at all.

Which is where flagship GPUs should be to begin with.
Maybe in 2012? The Titan set a whole different price level to flagships and the X090 cards just continue that trend. The 3080 official msrp of 699 fits the price you’re looking for, it’s just upper mid range / lower top range now.

Maybe in 2012? The Titan set a whole different price level to flagships and the X090 cards just continue that trend. The 3080 official msrp of 699 fits the price you’re looking for, it’s just upper mid range / lower top range now.
You mean the 3080 that was never available at anything remotely close to MSRP, at least not here in europe. It still starts above $1000, even with the horrible exchange rate since the war started.

You mean the 3080 that was never available at anything remotely close to MSRP, at least not here in europe. It still starts above $1000, even with the horrible exchange rate since the war started.

Just to add a bit of perspective here... I'll gladly suffer through higher priced GPU's if it means I don't have to be bombed.. I want that violence and horror to end for all those involved. And if the impetuous to motivate the world to end this conflict is high prices... hopefully the world will act soon.

Just to add a bit of perspective here... I'll gladly suffer through higher priced GPU's if it means I don't have to be bombed.. I want that violence and horror to end for all those involved. And if the impetuous to motivate the world to end this conflict is high prices... hopefully the world will act soon.
GPU prices were high long before the war, they have been coming down since february due to the reduction in mining profits.

I also don't see how the worsening of living standards in europe will help put an end to the war. If anything appeasers are gaining political power due to it.

I concede that it was never that low, but that had nothing to do with gaming.

It was available at and close to MSRP for a time in the US. Many forum members got them and made posts about it. They did dry up a lot of times and they were much harder to get than the RTX 3090 cards were.

Which is where flagship GPUs should be to begin with.
I'm not sure how you've reached this conclusion. You may want GPU's to be that cheap, but that's not realistic and hasn't been for some time. I can remember a time when the highest end GPU's were well below $399. That just isn't the world we live in. Inflation, increasing complexity, materials costs, etc. have all driven the prices of modern GPU's well beyond the days where you can expect a high end or top end GPU for that kind of price.

It was available at and close to MSRP for a time in the US. Many forum members got them and made posts about it. They did dry up a lot of times and they were much harder to get than the RTX 3090 cards were.
I know it was available for a very short window in the US, well the founders edition at least, which afaik isn't even sold in Europe.
The 3080 and the 3090 were both unobtanium for months after they launched, then they became available sooner than in the US, but for ridiculous prices, 3080 for $2500 and 3090 $4000 and such. Not from scalpers, this was the price direct from retailers. You could say the EU solved the scalper problem.

I'm not sure how you've reached this conclusion. You may want GPU's to be that cheap, but that's not realistic and hasn't been for some time. I can remember a time when the highest end GPU's were well below $399. That just isn't the world we live in. Inflation, increasing complexity, materials costs, etc. have all driven the prices of modern GPU's well beyond the days where you can expect a high end or top end GPU for that kind of price.
All I want is for things to be in proportion. a hi-end gpu costs 2x as much now as it did in 2014. Now if my salary was also double of what I got then it would be fine, but it's not even 50% more.

GPU prices were high long before the war, they have been coming down since february due to the reduction in mining profits.

I also don't see how the worsening of living standards in europe will help put an end to the war. If anything appeasers are gaining political power due to it.
True the war is just the latest reason.

I know it was available for a very short window in the US, well the founders edition at least, which afaik isn't even sold in Europe.
The 3080 and the 3090 were both unobtanium for months after they launched, then they became available sooner than in the US, but for ridiculous prices, 3080 for $2500 and 3090 $4000 and such. Not from scalpers, this was the price direct from retailers. You could say the EU solved the scalper problem.

All I want is for things to be in proportion. a hi-end gpu costs 2x as much now as it did in 2014. Now if my salary was also double of what I got then it would be fine, but it's not even 50% more.
I found an RTX 3090 FE during the first couple months they were out at near MSRP. I saw plenty of RTX 3080's for sale at double MSRP. Not that it was acceptable, but it wasn't $2500 either. I know there were people gouging for more, but it was mostly RTX 3090 cards at $2,500 and above.

Honestly, the MSRP wasn't really out of bounds for the 30 series. The RTX 3090 replaced the Titan V at the time for $1,000 less. The RTX 2080 Ti retailed for around $1,100, that's right where the RTX 3080 Ti's sit at. The RTX 3080 at the time was $699. Granted, none of these cards were easily obtained at the time, but we've seen worse pricing than this and I'm not talking about gouging due to mining BS.

I'm looking over at my EVGA 3080 12GB FTW3 - this is the largest, heaviest card I've owned to date. The PCB is overengineered and can pull 450W - it's shared by EVGA's 3080 TI FTW3 and 3090 FTW3 cards - and the triple-slot cooler is actually capable of cooling 450W reasonably quietly.

I'd like to see top-end GPU prices cool down a bit too, but I'm under no illusion about the very real costs that these products incur per unit. The push for performance is real, and GPU manufacturers are delivering.

It's also worth repeating that not everyone needs a x080 Ti / x090. I'd like to see the x070-level GPUs back under US$500, but outside of that, I think we're doing alright.

Become a Patron!
Back