Intel Arc A380 Graphics Card Pre-Orders Open in the U.S. for $139.99

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel's Arc graphics cards are finally starting to hit the U.S. market.

Go to post

I'm thinking of grabbing one to use as my new 'backup GPU', mostly for the curiosity of it.

I really dig it's tiny form factor too.

Probably not suitable for any of our gaming needs, but I could totally see buying somethng like this to upgrade the video hardware decode capability of an x86 HTPC box that currently uses on board only graphics.

Probably not suitable for any of our gaming needs, but I could totally see buying somethng like this to upgrade the video hardware decode capability of an x86 HTPC box that currently uses on board only graphics.
That'd be my exact use case; however, as AMD and Nvidia both have announcements coming up and both appear to be rather uncompetitive in the entry-level dGPU markets outside of gaming, I wonder if we won't see them push their latest transcoders down to <US$200 SKUs. Give me an RTX4030 (or GTX...?) that can encode AV1 competitively and we'll talk!

That'd be my exact use case; however, as AMD and Nvidia both have announcements coming up and both appear to be rather uncompetitive in the entry-level dGPU markets outside of gaming, I wonder if we won't see them push their latest transcoders down to <US$200 SKUs. Give me an RTX4030 (or GTX...?) that can encode AV1 competitively and we'll talk!

That's great for Windows boxes. Less so for the likes of - for example - an embedded Linux Kodi box. Nvidia has refused to play nice with video decode standards in Linux trying to make it proprietary, which has meant that they have gone from one of the best choices for video decode on Linux a few years back to being a very poor choice for that today.

Surprisingly, on the Linux front, more work has gone into Intel iGPU video decode capability than any other GPU, and I'm hoping this translates to the Arc dGPU designs as well.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back