DeepCool PQ850M 850W Power Supply Review

Paul_Johnson

Administrator
Staff member
DeepCool PQ850M Today, we are looking at a product from a somewhat less well-known company, in North America, in the PC enthusiast realm; Beijing DEEPCOOL Industries Co., Ltd. DEEPCOOL is a Chinese company founded in 1996 that has generally been known for its line of air coolers, all-in-one liquid coolers, cooling fans, computer cases, and power […]

Go to post

Thanks for the review! Interesting to see them put out a PSU. I know they've been in the cooler business for a while now but didn't know they did PSUs as well.

That, my friends, is where this unit runs headlong into a house while speedballed out of their mind like Anne Heche in an Austin Mini.

**** that’s cold. Hilarious, but the dirt hasn’t even settled on the grave yet.

I find this interesting and if I were in the market for a 850 watt power supply I would want platinum or titanium rated personally. Getting every ounce of efficiency will be critical with new modern parts at least in my mind.

I find this interesting and if I were in the market for a 850 watt power supply I would want platinum or titanium rated personally. Getting every ounce of efficiency will be critical with new modern parts at least in my mind.
Hmm, I don't know that the effiency matters much.

The wattage is based on DC side - so an 850 Titanium will deliver the same 850W that a 850 Bronze will -- they will be identical as far as the computer load you can throw on them goes.

Granted, the bronze would pull a bit more from the wall... but it's only a difference of 8% (82% vs 90%) - or 80W... at 85%.

And if you have no qualms about a 500W+ Graphics card or 250W+ CPU (Not saying you personally Grim, just the general "making a point") -- then that extra 8% is nothing. Maybe if you are rocking one of those 1500W+ PSUs, and then that extra 8% may be the difference between throwing a breaker or not - and that would be a legitimate reason for a gamer or home computer user to care.

Buy a power supply for the voltage quality, the warranty, the bells and whistles that you like -- but the Plus rating is mostly just a marketing badge. It might matter in a server situation where it's going to sit under load for long stretches of time (like 24x7), or maybe if you are mining full time, but it needs to be on at a healthy load for a long time if you ever want to recoup that price difference.

I'll grant you that higher tier PSUs tend to be better units, but it isn't because they are higher tier rated. The tier rating is a good reason for the manufacturer to put a higher markup on a product, but you shouldn't pay extra for just that. Pay extra for stuff that matters, like good voltage quality or cable management or 10 year warranty. It's a shame that stuff is hard to sleuth out if all you have is the box on the shelf to go by - which is why I love sites like this one.

Hmm, I don't know that the effiency matters much.

The wattage is based on DC side - so an 850 Titanium will deliver the same 850W that a 850 Bronze will -- they will be identical as far as the computer load you can throw on them goes.

Granted, the bronze would pull a bit more from the wall... but it's only a difference of 8% (82% vs 90%) - or 80W... at 85%.

And if you have no qualms about a 500W+ Graphics card or 250W+ CPU (Not saying you personally Grim, just the general "making a point") -- then that extra 8% is nothing. Maybe if you are rocking one of those 1500W+ PSUs, and then that extra 8% may be the difference between throwing a breaker or not - and that would be a legitimate reason for a gamer or home computer user to care.

Buy a power supply for the voltage quality, the warranty, the bells and whistles that you like -- but the Plus rating is mostly just a marketing badge. It might matter in a server situation where it's going to sit under load for long stretches of time (like 24x7), or maybe if you are mining full time, but it needs to be on at a healthy load for a long time if you ever want to recoup that price difference.

I'll grant you that higher tier PSUs tend to be better units, but it isn't because they are higher tier rated. The tier rating is a good reason for the manufacturer to put a higher markup on a product, but you shouldn't pay extra for just that. Pay extra for stuff that matters, like good voltage quality or cable management or 10 year warranty. It's a shame that stuff is hard to sleuth out if all you have is the box on the shelf to go by - which is why I love sites like this one.

I agree with everything you said. I consider warrranty and reputation as well. When I got my 1300 watt I wanted high efficiency. I didn't even realize titanium rated was a thing or I would have looked for it. (hard to find mind you.) And I know I over paid for my power supply but for me that piece out lives dang near every other component of my system. My old 850 watt that ran my 3900x is being given to a friend with the 3900x cpu and motherboard and the 1 tb nvme drive I had in it to boot. so it will see more life.

Become a Patron!
Back