ASRock Announces Its First Gaming Monitors, including Phantom Gaming PG34WQ15R2B with Built-In Wi-Fi

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
ASRock has announced its first gaming monitors in the form of the Phantom Gaming PG34WQ15R2B (~$429) and PG27FF1A (~$189).

Go to post

Maybe I'm having a dumb moment, but why the hell would a MONITOR require or even benefit from in any way, Wifi connectivity?

Because it's just a rebranded tv with pc connections that can stream content.
Makes sense.

There is a shrinking distinction between monitors and TV's these days.

Heck, I used a TV (48" Samsung JS9000) as my primary monitor for 4.5 years...

Phantom Gaming PG34WQ15R2B is the world’s first-ever gaming monitor equipped with built-in Wi-Fi antennas. The design of Integrated Wi-Fi Antenna inherits the Phantom Gaming sprits: “Fast, Mysterious, and Unbeatable”. By connecting the built-in Wi-Fi antennas to PC, the Wi-Fi signal won’t be masked by the desk. Moreover, the antenna offers 7dBi peak gain that improves PC’s Wi-Fi signal and helps gamers to enjoy fluid gameplay without latency.
I'm just thankful for the intuitive model-numbering scheme that tells me exactly what I'm getting: PG34WQ15R2B is self-explanatory.

Makes sense.
Hah.

Well, it makes sense as to why it exists, I suppose.

It still makes no sense as to why a monitor, hooked up to a PC, needs smart apps.

I can almost buy off on a TV having this stuff - without an OTA signal being a sure assumption, it gives someone who buys a TV a way to consume content without needing anything from a third party. Granted, those third party devices are almost invariably superior - but at least you can open up the box and use the device.

Monitors -- well, they never had that association. They have always been to use with another device - a computer, console, something. So ... why would it have any smart features at all?

I mean, yeah, I know exactly what Grimlakin is saying, and he's almost certainly correct - there isn't a lot of distinction between a TV and monitor any more. But for WiFi to be a marketing point on a monitor -- your marketing department is really scraping the bottom of the barrel there. There is only 1 condition I can think of where it might even remotely be useful -- which would be using it for signage without needing a head unit of some sort. But I doubt this will do that... it's probably just the same old "smart" stuff from Samsung or LG or TCL- whomever they are rebranding it from.

**edit**
read Tempest's quote - who actually read the article.

It's not a smart device. It just has a USB WiFI AP built into it. Probably no different than the $10 TP-Link USB dongles. What a value add.

Phantom Gaming PG34WQ15R2B is the world’s first-ever gaming monitor equipped with built-in Wi-Fi antennas. The design of Integrated Wi-Fi Antenna inherits the Phantom Gaming sprits: “Fast, Mysterious, and Unbeatable”. By connecting the built-in Wi-Fi antennas to PC, the Wi-Fi signal won’t be masked by the desk. Moreover, the antenna offers 7dBi peak gain that improves PC’s Wi-Fi signal and helps gamers to enjoy fluid gameplay without latency.
Meh,

IMHO WiFi belongs nowhere near a desktop anyway, but I guess to each their own.

I'm just thankful for the intuitive model-numbering scheme that tells me exactly what I'm getting: PG34WQ15R2B is self-explanatory.

1663274094429.png

Meh,

IMHO WiFi belongs nowhere near a desktop anyway, but I guess to each their own.
Heck, I don't want to buy the thing. :) All my desktops are wired. I was just quoting the part that talks about improving the PC’s Wi-Fi signal because it wasn't obvious from the title.

Become a Patron!
Back