Seasonic Announces VERTEX Power Supplies, Fully Compatible with ATX 3.0 and PCIe 5.0 Standards

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Seasonic has announced VERTEX, a new series of power supplies that were designed for the latest PC components leveraging the new ATX 3.0 and PCIe 5.0 standards.

Go to post

Hey, OCZ Vertex lasted a little longer than that!

...but I've yet to have a Seasonic fail :)

Yeah, Seasonic makes quality stuff. I did have one die on me though. When I replaced my stepsons dead Corsir the replacement (a seasonic unit) died within a week. Replaced it under RMA and it has been fine since.

Can't remember the model number though. It was one of the more entry level ones, not a Prime like I have in my system.

So, I'm puzzling together bits and pieces from different sources when it comes to this new standard, but it has been explained to me that there is a new power control wire or something, that the PSU has to be compatible with and be able to read, or you risk melting ****, so you are forced to buy a new PSU rather than just new wiring.

Is that the gist of it?

Sounds like a bullshit move from the PSU industry to sell you more stuff you don't need.

Vertex, huh?

Will they be guaranteed dead within 2 years, like the OCZ products by the same name? 😅
We have OCZ Vertex SSDs in all workstations purchased in 2011. Zero failures so far. True most of them was retired from mainline use a few years ago, but still they stood up to 8-10 years of abuse. And I mean abuse, not your regular joe usage.

So, I'm puzzling together bits and pieces from different sources when it comes to this new standard, but it has been explained to me that there is a new power control wire or something, that the PSU has to be compatible with and be able to read, or you risk melting ****, so you are forced to buy a new PSU rather than just new wiring.

Is that the gist of it?

Sounds like a bullshit move from the PSU industry to sell you more stuff you don't need.
Almost, actually the signal is just 4 pins, either can have an on-off state, so basically 4 bits, nothing intelligent to it. The PSU sends the signal to the GPU telling it how much power it can draw. That's it. Completely useless gimmick, especially if you have a PSU that far exceeds the total system power.

Become a Patron!
Back