Looking for the fastest (or fast even) single thread/core performance CPUs.

LeRoy_Blanchard

Skillz
Staff member
Preferably with high clock speeds. I run a few Rust game servers and my old Xeons aren't able to keep up as my population is growing. So I need something that's fast in single threaded applications since Rust is single threaded.

Most big servers run 5950x for their servers which is so far the option on the table. However, if their is a comparable Xeon or "server" CPU that can compare to the speed of a 5950x then I'll probably go that route since I'll have more options for server boards and can utilize more RAM.

A 5950x can have at max 128GB RAM and a Rust server can consume as much as 20GB of that in one instance. My current server has 392GB RAM (Old Xeons) as I run more than one server on it. So I don't want to be limited by the amount of servers (Not just Rust) I can run at once on the server because I can't get enough RAM.

So TFPS, what's a comparable Xeon to a 5950X that can have up to 512GB RAM?

Is the issue single-core performance, or is it something that could be solved by having more cache to reduce cache misses?

There are Epycs available that have the same 3D V-Cache as the 5800X3D, that are spec'd to run over 4.0GHz. Been a while since I was bored enough to look at them, as they aren't cheap by any means.

I will say that I don't really know anything about Rust, I'm more just intrigued by contemplating the problem :D

No, I don't think it's a cache issue. The CPUs I currently have are x5675 Xeons with 12MB L3$. I am running two servers on it at the moment. One with a lot of plugins that is the problem child and the other with a few plugins that's mostly a vanilla server. I would think if it was a cache issue then when one server was running slow they both would.

The PVE/lots of plugins server that has the highest pop right now is the one that runs low FPS when it gets a few people on.
The PVP/few plugins/vanilla server's FPS stays relatively high even when the FPS on the other server drops.

Granted the server is a dual socket system so it's possible that one instance could be running on one CPU and the other instance running on the other, except at one point I was running 4 at a time and only the PVE server that gets most of the pop has the issues. I shut down two of them because I don't have time to manage them much and getting 1 server to a decent pop is hard enough much less 4 at once.

From what I read about Rust it's just requires high single thread performance which is what the 5950x can supply. So a lot of people with the big servers run 5950x. I just don't want to purchase more than one for the community I'm building. I'd rather one server to handle all the Rust instances.

From what I read about Rust it's just requires high single thread performance which is what the 5950x can supply. So a lot of people with the big servers run 5950x. I just don't want to purchase more than one for the community I'm building. I'd rather one server to handle all the Rust instances.
If that's the case then, a 13900K (and some decent cooling) would be up your alley. 5.5GHz+ on ambient.

Except for the RAM need - there's no fixing that. Consumer platforms seem to cap out at 128GB across the board. DDR5 looks to change that, but not yet, and even when we get DIMMs larger than 32GB, expect the cost and the compromises (high latency, lower clockspeed / bandwidth) to follow.

A high-boosting Epyc, perhaps without too many cores, seems to be in your future!

Become a Patron!
Back