World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Is Now Live, Featuring New Dragon Isles Continent (Five Zones), Dracthyr Evoker Race/Class Combo, and Dragonriding

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Blizzard Entertainment has launched World of Warcraft: Dragonflight, the ninth expansion to its long-running massively multiplayer online role-playing game that calls players back to Azeroth to discover the new Dragon Isles continent atop a customizable drake with Dragonriding, wield the elemental energies of the dragon aspects as the new dracthyr Evoker race/class combination, and explore substantial updates to fundamental systems, including a new talent system, customizable user-interface options, and enhanced in-game professions.

See full article...

Didn't they introduce dragon riding back in Mists of Pandaria? It's a rhetorical question. I know they did.

I’m a big MMO fan. I’ve tried to play WoW on three separate occasions.

At launch, it was a buggy mess. I made it to max level, but with a lack of stuff to do I went back to EQ.

Right before WotLK released I came back since they seemed to have fixed most everything and got on track. Raided for a bit at the tail end of BC and the first part of WotLK. Probably the best time I had in WoW, but it only lasted about a year. Community just made it a pain - everyone was all about gear score and DPS meters and whatever the meta was at the time.

Tried coming back several years later - between Warlords and Legion. Community wasn’t any better so I didn’t stick around.

The game isn’t half bad, but the community I just don’t really want anything to do with, and the developers seem to bend over backwards to cater to the worst parts of it.

Now I play a dead MMO with no prayer of a future just because I like the community.

Yea the community for WOW just went complete trash panda. I got out before the pandemic and I'm glad I did. At least on the RP servers it became a competition to tear others down. If you were not a part of it you were a target.

Yeah... I went from EQ to WoW myself, although I was with EQ from 1999 (started @ release, I didn't participate in the beta) to 2004 when I jumped ship to WoW. Got into the WoW beta and have been there for many many years. I was always with a close-nit group of friends from EQ so the community didn't bother me so much, as I always did things with my friends. As the friends moved on over the years, I was reliant more and more on the community and that's where I said enough was enough. It's a very toxic environment, and was one I wasn't willing to participate in anymore.

Been tempted to pick up FF14 but I don't know if I want to get into another MMO again..

Yeah... I went from EQ to WoW myself, although I was with EQ from 1999 (started @ release, I didn't participate in the beta) to 2004 when I jumped ship to WoW. Got into the WoW beta and have been there for many many years. I was always with a close-nit group of friends from EQ so the community didn't bother me so much, as I always did things with my friends. As the friends moved on over the years, I was reliant more and more on the community and that's where I said enough was enough. It's a very toxic environment, and was one I wasn't willing to participate in anymore.

Been tempted to pick up FF14 but I don't know if I want to get into another MMO again..
Man if you love being able to have your own house and decorate it and do decoration tricks and do mods and all of that... there is a DEEP community. I felt like it detracted from RP though... or at least it pulled you too far out of the role of being the Warrior of Light.

Man if you love being able to have your own house and decorate it and do decoration tricks and do mods and all of that... there is a DEEP community. I felt like it detracted from RP though... or at least it pulled you too far out of the role of being the Warrior of Light.
This is true - there are some very dedicated communities to building up houses / properties. Similarly with crafting and costumes. There's certainly an active ERP community if you are into that too ~. Along with the normal questing and dungeon parties and raiding.

FFXIV is very story driven - there is a main quest line, and you have to proceed along it, for better or worse, or you will just get stuck -- and that includes a handful of dungeons and raids that you won't be able to solo (although they have a very good group finder that prevents them from being a permanent road block). It isn't like most MMOs where you can just do your thing, and if you don't like the quests you can power around them with other activities. If you like most Final Fantasy titles, or really like the story - it's very well done and plays a lot of fan service to older FF titles -- then you will love it, and many call it the best of the FF titles out there. If you are more of a sandbox/open world PVP person, then it will likely drive you nuts.

There's a bit of the WoW "elitism" to it, but lack of public gear score and dps-meter-shaming being a bannable offense, it isn't anywhere near to the same level as WoW. You'll see a lot of the random groups still want to speed run everything, but there are just as many people that will go out of their way to help you too - which was never a part of my WoW experience.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back