Microsoft Kills Off WordPad after 28 Years with New Windows 11 Canary Builds

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has released two new Canary Builds of Windows 11, and both of them appear to spell the end for WordPad, the popular (albeit basic) word processor that Microsoft introduced 28 years ago with Windows 95.

See full article...

Lol.

I haven't used it in so long, I forgot it was even there.

Last time was probably in the 90's.

I use it from time to time for quick notes.

Anyone know a good alternative?

I use Notepad, WordPad, KDE Kate, Notepad++, Notepadqq, and whatever the f*ck else I find lying around. My brother uses Crimson Editor.

It was useful on systems with no proper word processor installed. You don't necessarily want to install an office suite for a quick edit.
Plus it preserves formatting better than word. When copying text to and from web pages.

It was useful on systems with no proper word processor installed. You don't necessarily want to install an office suite for a quick edit.
Plus it preserves formatting better than word. When copying text to and from web pages.
Yea if you're trying to preserve the HTML around the text you need something better. For my use normally when I'm scraping data like that I'm putting it into a excel document and want to use my own formatting. ;)

Yeah, lets be fair. Office is expensive, and there is no way in hell I am ever going to subscribe to any software or create a Microsoft Account.

Even the latest traditional non-subscription Office releases seem to require being associated with a Microsoft account, and quite frankly, that will never happen for me. Never creating an online account for what should be offline software. Not in this life, or the next. I can't control what work IT does, but for anything personal? Over my dead body.

Sometimes you have to draw red lines. This is mine. I will die on this hill if I have to.

Forcing the issue, robbing people of their freedoms bit by bit, but doing it slowly so they get used to it will never work on me. It may work on others, but this is something I personally will never put up with or accept.

So, Wordpad was a nice light option to have if you needed it.

You can still install something free like LibreOffice though.

Yea... true but if you need to do professional work... Office rules the day. I'm sure some people swear by iWork from Apple.. or for apple.. I don't even know.

Yea... true but if you need to do professional work... Office rules the day. I'm sure some people swear by iWork from Apple.. or for apple.. I don't even know.

I find I can use LibreOffice for most professional things.

It's not quite as good as Microsoft Office, but it isn't far behind. You need to do some things a little differently, but it's not different bad, just different different (though some people get frustrated and throw up their hands when things aren't identical to what they are used to)

I find it works really well.

That is, until you need to collaborate with someone who uses Microsoft Office. (essentially everyone else) Then everything falls apart.

This is what keeps Microsoft's pseudo-monopoly in place for Office. It's not that the alternatives are terrible. It's that we have allowed a proprietary system to become the de-facto standard. One should never allow anything proprietary to become a standard.

Yeah, lets be fair. Office is expensive, and there is no way in hell I am ever going to subscribe to any software or create a Microsoft Account.
I have an office subscription through work so I don't really need anything else now.

Before that I used both openoffice and libreoffice, and it was always less than optimal. I've had so many issues with formatting not looking as expected when opening office documents or my documents looking trash when someone opened them in MS office.

And hate to admit it but even the UI is much better in MS office than in those alternatives.

I have my reservations too about needing an online account but my line in the sand is needing an online account to log in to the computer. And office works offline you only need the online connection to activate it.
So, Wordpad was a nice light option to have if you needed it.

I would not want to install libreoffice for a single use, that's what Wordpad was good for. IDK why is MS hell bent on removing functional tools, like paint or snipping tool, now wordpad too.

Become a Patron!
Back