ASUS Intel 700|600 Series and AMD AM5 Motherboards Gain Support for up to 256 GB of DDR5 Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
BIOS updates that enable support for up to 256 GB of memory on ASUS's Intel 700 and 600 series DDR5 motherboards are now available, the company has announced. AMD AM5 motherboards from ASUS also feature this level of memory support, with no BIOS update required.

See full article...

That's well into HEDT arenas and I approve. Though some folks might be power shocked. Ram uses a lot of juice.

Was gonna post I dont see a bios update. Turns out I dont need one.

Not that I plan to upgrade any time in the next few years. I have more ram than I need as it is. I have had it all in use a time or two but not often.

Odd I was going by my dell server calculator. It likes a lot of power for 64 gig sticks. Like an additional 300 wats for 16 of them.

Odd I was going by my dell server calculator. It likes a lot of power for 64 gig sticks. Like an additional 300 wats for 16 of them.
Perhaps that's not too far off at ~19W/stick, if you consider that 64GB sticks are fairly dense. I was going by my experience with overclocking 16GB sticks, which would top out at 10W before they got too hot to keep stable (but this is with the poor slapped-on cooling that Corsair and G.Skill had been using).

I got very curious about the power draw of my own DIMMS after Grimlakin's post. I could not find much info on the topic. What little I did find suggested power draw for DIMMS is negligible, even stating the size of the Capacity didnt matter., just the type DDR vs DDR 1-5 etc. The few, scraggly posts I could Google up were also suggesting 3-5 watts per stick.

Anyone have factual information on the topic? Both in general and specifically for G.Skill Trident DDR 5 6400 (running at 5200, board or cpu just wont do more even with 1 DIMM) 48gb sticks, which have to be double sided though I am not going to pull one out to look.

Any online calculators for home built systems?

I got very curious about the power draw of my own DIMMS after Grimlakin's post. I could not find much info on the topic. What little I did find suggested power draw for DIMMS is negligible, even stating the size of the Capacity didnt matter., just the type DDR vs DDR 1-5 etc. The few, scraggly posts I could Google up were also suggesting 3-5 watts per stick.

Anyone have factual information on the topic? Both in general and specifically for G.Skill Trident DDR 5 6400 (running at 5200, board or cpu just wont do more even with 1 DIMM) 48gb sticks, which have to be double sided though I am not going to pull one out to look.

Any online calculators for home built systems?
HWINFO64

Thanks,

They are running about .75 to 1.2 watts each right now, not doing much though. Should get a game going and see.

Thanks,

They are running about .75 to 1.2 watts each right now, not doing much though. Should get a game going and see.
Ah not per dimm, per channel so 8 instead of 4 - still not very many watts overall.

Ah not per dimm, per channel so 8 instead of 4 - still not very many watts overall.
I wonder if dells calculation is based on something else.... But yes our 1tb ram said hosts needed 1400 watt powerr supplies and no graphics cards.

I wonder if dells calculation is based on something else.... But yes our 1tb ram said hosts needed 1400 watt powerr supplies and no graphics cards.
Absolute stability over service life. I've been pretty surprised how overspec'd server power supplies can be; completely different ballgame in comparison to your average gaming desktop.

You'd have to do something that actually hits RAM hard, and I don't know of much short of one of the enthusiast memory testing apps. Memtest has a negligible load. TestMem5 is the toughest one I know of.

Or run y-cruncher, maxing out your available RAM. But backup your OS first, because if something isn't stable for whatever reason, memory corruption is a first-class ticket to BSOD city.

Ya lets avoid bsod city

Testmem5 maxed at 2.75 watts per DIMM or 11 watts total. I suspect the onboard power management is doing its thing to cap the power draw.

What the physical configuration for the 1tb of ram? 16 DIMM sockets at 64gb each? I dont know much about the server space and how mobo's there are configured.

Assuming:
48gb dimm draws 3/4th the power of a 64gb stick: 2.75/(3/4th)= 3 2/3rds watts per stick.
3 2/3 * 16 = 58 2/3rds watts estimated.

Of course I am guessing the server has ECC and maybe RDIMMS no idea how that affects things.

How many CPU's does that server have?

Yea dual 32 core xeons and 16 memory modules at 64 gig each to populate each channel on the processors.

Playing Secret World Legends four an hour-ish:

1710662456633.png

All things considered not a significant energy sink on my system. My PSU reports from ~250 to ~600 (mostly 300-450) watts on the power in while playing.

Become a Patron!
Back