NVIDIA Announces Blackwell GPUs with 208 Billion Transistors, including GB200 System Supporting 72 Blackwell GPUs and 13.5 TB of HBM3e Memory

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA has officially launched its next-generation Blackwell platform, and with it comes a set of new and elaborate hardware for fueling the next stage in the AI craze, including some that the company says are powerful enough to enable "trillion-parameter-scale AI models."

See full article...

The FPS Review may receive a commission if you purchase something after clicking a link in this article.

You xould like that wouldn't you :p

Notably no mention of consumer parts.

Only AI bullshit.
You know what I don't care what bandwagon gets people and companies enthused about hardware as long as there is one. For the longest time enthusiasts were driving advancement, and everyone was onboard with that. Then it was crypto mining. And now it is AI. As long as there is a demand for greater more efficient compute we will see advancements continue. Find a need fill a need.

It will still mean better performance as it trickles down to consumer/gamer grade hardware. Personally someone who can do fast AI work but more efficiently will be the real winners long term. Right now nobody is giving two ****s about the power draw and just throwing money at moar and faster. But that won't last.

You know what I don't care what bandwagon gets people and companies enthused about hardware as long as there is one. For the longest time enthusiasts were driving advancement, and everyone was onboard with that. Then it was crypto mining. And now it is AI. As long as there is a demand for greater more efficient compute we will see advancements continue. Find a need fill a need.
Hmm..

Maybe.

Hard to get excited about something you don't really care about though. Enthusiast stuff - yeah I get excited about that because it's one of my hobbies.

Advances in Bidet technology from Japan, efficiency updates to electric toothbrushes, strides in acne prevention, better robot vacuum cleaners, breakthroughs in cardboard packaging - not so excited about - all important in their vein, but don't have a direct impact on me. Same thing with AI - cool, but I don't really care and it doesn't have an immediate or noticeable impact on my life, so it can advance, or not, as it wants to.

Now, maybe some of this will trickle down to the Enthusiast level. But I'm willing to bet we'll be sold another bag of crap like RTX - where the meat and potatoes of the chip didn't really see any big improvement but they tacked on a bunch of crap in the name of raytracing and tensor cores and sold it as a huge upgrade, at a premium price.

If you are really into AI (as Grim is, and that's fine), or your job is in AI, or you just think it's really cool - then it's ok to be excited about it. Not disparaging that. Just saying it does nothing for me though and I totally get other people just kind of poo-pooing this thing.

Normally that's how this stuff works. Enterprise gets a version that trickles down to mass market. The tech is molded to what they think the mass market wants/needs.

Become a Patron!
Back