Intel Awarded Nearly $20 Billion under the CHIPS & Science Act

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The U.S. Department of Commerce has reached a preliminary agreement where Intel will not only be provided up to $8.5 billion in direct funding, but also $11 billion in loans, as part of the CHIPS and Science Act—a U.S. federal statute that was launched in August 2022 to boost research and manufacturing of semiconductors in the United States—the White House has announced.

See full article...

Man I hope AMD got a piece of that pie. And even Nvidia. They are all doing work to move the market forward and deserve it. I would go so far as to say Nvidia and AMD deserve it more but Intel is following along so that's cool.

You just know that they won't adjust prices because their R&D costs were heavily offset.

I'm not Intel fan, but better them than some of the players.

I hope there were some legal strings attached to prevent Intel from being the ****ty patent trolling wannabe monopolist they used to be though.

Man I hope AMD got a piece of that pie. And even Nvidia. They are all doing work to move the market forward and deserve it. I would go so far as to say Nvidia and AMD deserve it more but Intel is following along so that's cool.

Neither AMD nor Nvidia have their own fabs anymore. Well, Nvidia never did, and AMD spun all of their off to Globalfoundries a decade ago. They don't have the expertise in house to pursue something like this. Chip fabbing is hard. Very hard. Even the best fail (as evidenced by Intel's 10nm fiasco) It isn't something you can just go do, even if you have money.

Besides, Nvidia has gone full on evil for years, so I would be opposed to them getting anything at all. IN fact, I'd love to see them sued out of existence or at least broken up.

You just know that they won't adjust prices because their R&D costs were heavily offset.

yeah. and that...

Become a Patron!
Back