Lara Croft Voted Most Iconic Video Game Character of All Time, Besting Mario, Pac-Man, and More

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Lara Croft, the star of Core Design, Crystal Dynamics, and Eidos-Montréal's action-adventure series, is the most iconic video game character of all time, according to the results of BAFTA's latest Players' Poll, which were published this week following the contributions of 4,000 gamers.

See full article...

Not after the reboot, and the reboot reboot will probably be as androgynous as they think they can get away with.

Looking at the list, it is obvious that many just chose their favorite character, not necessarily an iconic one. 2 from Baldur's Gate 3? lol
4,000 is too small of a sample when Gamers number in the billions.

As usual I dont agree with this list (I also had issues with the "zwaarste lijst" where 22% of the 66 songs were from Belgian groups, not disrespect for local musicians, but no way in hell are there not better songs then those), but most chars seem to be from pretty big franchises.

Not having char's with a name or personality is hurting some franchises like Doom I suppose

I was thinking ever since this came up who I'd choose as the most iconic character.
And finally I think I have the answer:

14c-3471946293.jpg

Aint no way more people know Lara Croft than Mario or Pikachu. Aint no way.

I'd like to know how they came up with this list.

Did they ask the participants to name a video character and most said Tomb Raider? (Tomb Raider isn't a character by the way. Its the name of the game anyway)

Did they conjure up a list of their own and tell people to pick the one they know? and did this list have pictures of the characters?

The only way I can see to really find out who is the most iconic character is to ask people to name a video game character. Or show them a list of ALL the video game characters that can possibly make the list and tell people to name all the ones they know.

The only way I can see to really find out who is the most iconic character is to ask people to name a video game character. Or show them a list of ALL the video game characters that can possibly make the list and tell people to name all the ones they know.
Imo you first do a vote to create a short list and then let the people vote again on their top 3 or something.

So, where's Ryu, Ken, Guile, Kazuya, Bison, Peach, Bowzer, Sub-Zero, Chun-Li, Kirby, Mega-Man, Samus and so many others

While Lara does belong to the top of the list, no way she's Numero uno.

If we're talking resistance to gravity alone I would think Cami from Street fighter would be up there.

If we allowed non-humanoid characters then Shodan would also be up there.

Sam Fisher, Max Payne, G-Man

Become a Patron!
Back