“Consoles Are Dying” Is a Narrative That Only Microsoft Is Pushing Because Xbox Has No Exclusives, Former Blizzard Executive Suggests

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
There's a narrative going around that video game consoles are dying and that most games will be playable only via cloud services in the future, but the only major player that is pushing this idea is Microsoft, according to the latest thoughts from Mike Ybarra, Blizzard Entertainment's former president.

See full article...

Odd coming from that source - Blizzard isn’t a console-heavy developer and a lot of their biggest titles are PC only.

And, of course, not to mention biting the hand that feeds you. But I guess he is the ~former~ president

Given the half a dozen orso handhelds that launched recently beeing more console then PC he's not wrong.

I assumed that MS after losing the previous gen would hit back hard this time, also given all the studio's they bought, but then they released the series S and shot themselves in the foot and went all multiplatorm, good for the PC players maybe but bad of the X-box brand

Me is focused on streaming and azure. Access boxes at home to stream entertainment has been a tactic of Microsoft's for a long time. That's the play to make.

Well that's a new one.

Been hearing "PC Gaming" is dead/dying for decades now.

Consoles aren't going anywhere. No sooner or later than PCs.

Because smart people will still want PCs.
Dumb people will still want a "plug and play" console.

This will never change.

BS the barrier to entry to game on a console is WAY below the barrier for PC. A solid gaming PC is EASILIY 1700 bucks, without a monitor.

Hell even my setup... 1k video card, 900 dollar monitor, 500 dollar CPU, 250 dollar motherboard, 230 dollar storage, 150 dollar keyboard, 100 dollar mouse.... geebus... yea PC gaming is WAY more expensive than Console.

Become a Patron!
Back