Microsoft Ends Office Branding after 32 Years, Will Now Be Known As Microsoft 365

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
After more than 30 years, Microsoft has decided to rebrand Microsoft Office, its popular productivity suite, to Microsoft 365.

Go to post

Meh not surprised. Subscription bucks are the sweetest bucks for investors.

I been calling it LibreOffice for a long time now. My progeny will not know MS 365 unless strictly required for a job or whatever.

That's dumb. Rebranding for the sake of rebranding.

Whenever you change a name away from something descriptive to something non-descriptive, you have taken a step backwards.

That's dumb. Rebranding for the sake of rebranding.

Whenever you change a name away from something descriptive to something non-descriptive, you have taken a step backwards

I suspect they will be rolling this into OS subscriptions with your Office sub that is now a MS sub. With more cloud integration.

My progeny will not know MS 365 unless strictly required for a job or whatever.
Unfortunately, almost every single workplace uses Office/365.

I am strongly resisting Outlook at the moment - it's all our company uses for email, but I can't stand it, and I keep running into "quirks" with the Exchange server that, mysteriously, work fine via outlook but are broken via any other standards-compliant email/calendar clients.

Unfortunately, almost every single workplace uses Office/365.

I am strongly resisting Outlook at the moment - it's all our company uses for email, but I can't stand it, and I keep running into "quirks" with the Exchange server that, mysteriously, work fine via outlook but are broken via any other standards-compliant email/calendar clients.
There comes a time when you just have to cave and use what everyone else is using - it’s not worth your time to fight the system and deal with the issues no one else is having because they go with the flow. I’ve also never worked at a place that didn’t use outlook for email. I’m sure there are places out there that don’t, but you have to deal with outlook / office basically everywhere you go, so might as well get used to it.

There comes a time when you just have to cave and use what everyone else is using - it’s not worth your time to fight the system and deal with the issues no one else is having because they go with the flow. I’ve also never worked at a place that didn’t use outlook for email. I’m sure there are places out there that don’t, but you have to deal with outlook / office basically everywhere you go, so might as well get used to it.
You are not wrong.

I worked for a company that used pegasus mail, can't say it was good, but useable

I suspect they will be rolling this into OS subscriptions with your Office sub that is now a MS sub. With more cloud integration.

I will never subscribe to any software.

I can't stop my employers from doing so, but for my own machines I just won't. If windo s goes that way, I guess I won't use Windows anymore.

It's not a huge leap. I barely use Windows at home today.

Dumb. MS has the monopoly on enterprise "office" suite, so hey let's change the name. I generally dislike the 365 online versions, but I have used from time to time for work and.... it is what it is.

My uncle's employer won't even pay for office. So people there either use old arr-matey ancient versions or use Libre or Google Docs. I mean technically, has word or excel drastically changed since 2008?

Dumb. MS has the monopoly on enterprise "office" suite, so hey let's change the name. I generally dislike the 365 online versions, but I have used from time to time for work and.... it is what it is.

My uncle's employer won't even pay for office. So people there either use old arr-matey ancient versions or use Libre or Google Docs. I mean technically, has word or excel drastically changed since 2008?
No, nothing signicant has changed in 20 years. They keep revamping the UI, and polishing out the bugs they created while doing so. MS can shove their subscription services for software like this. Im okay subscription for music, games, video. But that is an expanding library of different things. If they do windows subscription, they can shove that too, I don't care how difficult of how much I lose. I aint doing it, ever. Neither will I adobe, or any other similar software. No, no and no. Too many monthly crap in my life already. Way too many.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back