AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX Owners Complain of 110-Degree Celsius Hotspots, PowerColor Looking Into It

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards based on AMD's reference design may not be entirely trouble-free, according to a lengthy post on r/AMD titled "Do not buy a 7900 XTX, or anything else for that matter, directly from AMD."

See full article...

With how much data we want these things to crunch in as little time as possible something needs to change or issues with power connectors, hot spots, and other waste heat issues, will continue and get worse. IMHO.

We need a disruptive tech that recycles energy or doesn't need to short out memory cells to reset them.

I used to have a Titan X Pascal that would slowly run up to 93C before the blower fan would freak out and boost itself to 100% to cool it down. As you can imagine, that screaming squirrel cage would drown out any game audio, voice chat, or sanity I might have left. After a few seconds it would settle back to 85C-ish and the fan would return to normal. It would do it over and over during gaming, around once every 5 minutes or so as it would creep back up to 93C.

I can say for certain if my new 7900XTX did that, I would not be happy. In fact, I would probably want to send it back to AMD with a nice note that said, "Thanks, but no thanks." Mine has so far stabilized at 75C w/90C hotspot during 99% rasterization utilization. Not the best, but I can tell the fans running at 1700rpm are controlling it at that temp, as it'll fluctuate between 88-90C. The fans aren't bothersome at that rpm.

BTW, I fixed the Titan by swapping the blower with an EVGA hybrid cooler. It never went over 70C afterwards and it clocked itself higher as a bonus.

So - 110 is a bit alarming, but … if the card is still cranking full performance and it’s under warranty, is it still a big issue?

So - 110 is a bit alarming, but … if the card is still cranking full performance and it’s under warranty, is it still a big issue?
...and this is why ALL reviews' metrics matters, not only the cherry-picked gloating ones.

I'm sure that if these alarming issues were presented day-0 (to be fair, some reviews did expose these serious issues, though but who am I to debate with "years" of experienced reviewers 😏) Su would've had a soft Christmas.

Become a Patron!
Back