FFXVI Producer Doesn’t Like the Term JRPG, Japanese Developers Considered It “Discriminatory”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
JRPG is a term that has been used in gaming circles to describe Final Fantasy and other fan-favorite RPGs from Japan for what feels like forever, but it turns out that local developers weren't the biggest fans of the label. Speaking to Skill Up in a new interview, Naoki Yoshida ("Yoshi-P"), who's currently busy producing Final Fantasy XIV, mentioned that he and other Japanese developers hated the term when it first popped up, with some going so far as to describe it as "discriminatory." While the term seemingly has better connotations now, Japanese devs who saw the word JRPG thought they were being made fun of, or having their efforts compartmentalized, according to Yoshida.

See full article...

I hate to say it, but JRPG's have certain style to them that's very distinct. It is basically its own sub-genre of RPG. I don't know that the term is ever been derogatory on its own. I certainly have a negative view of them but I don't think most people do.

I like and buy jrpgs, and yes they are quite distinct in my view. Too bad they thought it was a negative connotation, I agree I don't think it ever was.
Of course, nothing is rigid when it comes to games, everything is evolving... Jrpgs is the kind of thing you say I know it when I see it. To me personally in so many ways jrpgs, are rpgs.
But again, if you expand knowledge enough games get plenty complicated when it comes to defining their genre.

I don't understand why anyone would think the term JRPG would be derogatory. I've never once thought it had any negative connotation and I don't particularly care for JRPGs as the style and direction doesn't normally appeal to me. JRPGs almost always have a distinct style that is considerably different from what would be classed as a "typical" or "normal" RPG. It's simply a sub-genre like tons of others.

I like the term, so I know what games to avoid. Not every game is for everyone. Doesn't mean the distinction itself is negative discrimination.
Someone who loves the genre can take it as high praise.

I never ever thought "JRPG" was even remotely discriminatory, it is just simply a classification of a sub-genre. Surprised that they think it is discriminatory. I've also heard the phrase "western RPG" for RPGs from our side of the pond for just as long, and again it doesn't strike me as even the slightest bit discriminatory. This fool said "we still remember the time when it was used as a negative." Yeah that was never. It is just simply a term to describe a sub-genre of RPGs. Don't know why this dude's panties are all in a bunch.

I never ever thought "JRPG" was even remotely discriminatory, it is just simply a classification of a sub-genre. Surprised that they think it is discriminatory. I've also heard the phrase "western RPG" for RPGs from our side of the pond for just as long, and again it doesn't strike me as even the slightest bit discriminatory. This fool said "we still remember the time when it was used as a negative." Yeah that was never. It is just simply a term to describe a sub-genre of RPGs. Don't know why this dude's panties are all in a bunch.
Yeah, just because you are Japanese doesn't mean all you can make is JRPG, it denotes a certain style popular in Japan, not that it is made in japan.

Somewhat related, is "Dutch treat" or "going Dutch" a pejorative or offensive to the Dutch peoples these days?

I never found something wrong with the name jrpg, just states where the game came from and to a certain extent what can be expected from the game.

Beats the Eurotrash name that got used for a bunch of dodgy european games like Elex.

I guess we can just pick common terms and decide they have become Derogatory, regardless of intent or history.

I mean I bet it has to do with the expectation of fan service associated with the term jrpg.

Become a Patron!
Back