PS5 System Software Update Adds Discord Voice Chat, VRR Support for 1440p, and Additional UX and Social Features

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sony has begun rolling out a new system software update for PlayStation 5, and it's a pretty big one that adds support for some long-requested features. Among the additions that PS5 users will find in the new 23.01-07.00.00 update is Variable Refresh Rate support for 1440p, enabling reduced lag, judder, and frame tearing for games that support the technology, as well as the ability to join Discord voice chats, which can be enabled by linking a Discord account with a PlayStation Network account. The update also introduces a number of accessibility and ease-of-use features, including easier data migration between PS4 and PS5.

See full article...

VRR support for 1440p, took them long enough just to A.) get VRR to begin with, B.) support 1440p to begin with. Xbox already had both last generation.

VRR, I totally agree with - there aren't a lot of TVs out there that support VRR, but all the newer, nicer ones do, so that support is only going to get bigger over time.

1440 support - well, I mean it should have been easy enough to implement - but how many people really play consoles at 1440? There aren't a lot of TV's out there at that resolution that I know of, and not a lot of people I know of are hooking these up to HDMI monitors (apart from maybe kids in dorm rooms?). That, and 4K is already out here so it's not like 1440 is even a feature improvement... This one - meh, just chasing the feature really, I don't think it really helps drive much other than allowing Sony to say "Me too"

Become a Patron!
Back