The Last of Us Season Finale Draws 8.2 Million Viewers as Creators Reveal “Part II” Will Be Told Through Multiple Seasons

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
HBO renewed The Last of Us for a second season in January, and while that may have seemed like a gamble at the time, the latest numbers would imply that it was a perfect decision. In a new media release, Warner Bros. Discovery confirmed that the season 1 finale of The Last of Us has set another ratings high for the series, drawing as many as 8.2 million viewers across HBO Max and linear telecasts during its premiere on Sunday, March 12, marking a 75% increase in debut night viewing compared to the series premiere (4.7 million viewers). As for what fans can expect out of the second season, co-creators Neil Druckmann and Craig Mazin have told GQ that they are looking to adapt The Last of Us Part II in not just one, but multiple seasons, something that may not come as a surprise to those who explored the PlayStation game to its fullest. Mazin also suggested that audiences might be seeing more of the infected in future episodes, implying that there may be an increase in action scenes, bringing the series even closer to the games that inspired it.

See full article...

I watched the series, have not played the game. There were some points where it was decidedly hurried, presumably so they could wrap it all up in one season, but I don't know that I'd want all of that story to really stretch over 2 or 3 seasons either.

It was .. alright. Not edge of my seat waiting for the next episode to drop good, but not holy crap I need to turn off the set right now and go purge bad either. The series was good, in my opinion, because it focused on the characters and there wasn't a lot of action. If you turn this into another zombie slasher series, it will suck. The world doesn't need more TWD clones, and thankfully TLOU season one avoided that well.

I did enjoy the final episode. Not having played the game (I presume the game was somewhat similar for the ending), I didn't expect what happened, but it was completely in character and made for a good conclusion to the season while leaving it open for more.

Become a Patron!
Back