VA Monitors Dominated the Market in 2022, Followed by IPS, TN, and OLED: TrendForce

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
VA monitors were the most popular choice in 2022 with 51% market share, followed by IPS (43.4%), TN (5%), and OLED (0.6%), reported TrendForce today in an article about how gaming monitors have seen their first decline since 2016 due to high inflation. Only 19.8 million units were shipped in 2022, and while that marks a substantial, 13% YoY decline, TrendForce has speculated that the demand for gaming monitors should bounce back in 2023, with up to 20.8 million units (an increase of 5% YoY) projected. TrendForce believes that this recovery will be driven by factors that include higher-refresh-rate monitors.

See full article...

Thanks for the article -- what I'm curious to see is when more of the "improved" IPS panels hit the market, like the 'Agile Splendor' IPS monitor here or the "IPS Black" panel monitors slowly hitting the market like this one here.

The only annoying thing about my LG OLED TV (used as a monitor) is the text fringing and occasional color mix-up due to the pixel substructure & Windows inability to process it correctly (still an issue even when using ClearType and third-party programs), and that drives me to use my Lenovo laptop for work a good deal of the time (it has an IPS panel).
Hopefully stuff like the IPS Black panels will come in 120hz+ formats, as the contrast ratios on them are already hitting at/around 2000:1 (as opposed to 700-1000:1 on "regular" IPS panels -- AutoHDR on Win11 notwithstanding), which chips away at VA's traditional advantage of better blacks/somewhat better contrast.

Become a Patron!
Back