Konami Rejected Metal Gear Solid 4 for Xbox 360 Because It Would Have Required Too Many DVDs: Hideo Kojima Game Was Running “Beautifully and Smoo...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots has remained exclusive to the PlayStation 3 since its release in 2008, but now, 15 years later, Xbox fans are learning that they could have also gotten to enjoy the Hideo Kojima game if it weren't for hardware limitations and Konami's arguably weird decision making.

See full article...

Oh huh, interesting. How big is the game? Was it on just one blu-ray disc? What size BD? I think this is the first time I heard about a game not being on X360 specifically because of the size of the storage media. Brings me back to the 5th-gen days when games in development for Nintendo 64 had to abandon it cuz of the cartridge size.

I think Phantasmagoria came out on 7 discs for PC. This would've fit on 6 DL-DVDs.

I think Phantasmagoria came out on 7 discs for PC. This would've fit on 6 DL-DVDs.
I remember UT2K4 had two packages, one was a single DVD, the other was 6 CDs. Man, bringing me back to the days when PC and console games shipped one multiple CDs. I had long been used to games and other software coming on multiple floppies, but it seemed crazy to me when games needed multiple CDs. Haven't really seen the use of multiple discs since moving to DVDs, at least not going above 2 discs. I guess by the time that would've happened, physical game releases were moving to BDs. But MGS4 would have been an example of releasing a game on a bunch of DVDs, had they gone the X360 route. Too expensive I guess. Is a single BD cheaper than a few DL-DVDs?

I think RDR2 physical release was 2 BDs, not sure what size they were though.

Wasn't the latest Flight Sim like 10 DVDs or something?

Still, nothing beat's Win95's 26 floppy install.
The Win95 floppy install.... I was there..... 1000 years ago. Before USB even existed.... but I did have a Zip drive for this kind of stuff.

I remember UT2K4 had two packages, one was a single DVD, the other was 6 CDs. Man, bringing me back to the days when PC and console games shipped one multiple CDs. I had long been used to games and other software coming on multiple floppies, but it seemed crazy to me when games needed multiple CDs. Haven't really seen the use of multiple discs since moving to DVDs, at least not going above 2 discs. I guess by the time that would've happened, physical game releases were moving to BDs. But MGS4 would have been an example of releasing a game on a bunch of DVDs, had they gone the X360 route. Too expensive I guess. Is a single BD cheaper than a few DL-DVDs?

I think RDR2 physical release was 2 BDs, not sure what size they were though.

Quick Google search claims that 11 games were released for the PS2 on DVD.
It also revealed 13 games on the PS4 that were released on at least two BluRay discs.

Become a Patron!
Back