President Biden Announces $42.5 Billion Plan to Expand High-Speed Internet Across the U.S.

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
President Biden has announced a $42.5 billion plan to provide high-speed internet access to every American household by 2030. The funds, already allocated by Congress through the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, will be distributed over the next two years through the Broadband Equity, Access, and Deployment (BEAD) program. The initiative is part of Biden's "Investing in America" tour, aimed at promoting his legislative wins on infrastructure, the economy, and climate change ahead of his 2024 reelection campaign.

See full article...

This will be a sham of epic proportions.

Watch HughesNet and Starlink walk away with something like $500M+ and provide worse service than they did before. And somehow Comcast and AT&T will pocket a big chunk of this, so they can upgrade fiber in neighborhoods that already have it.

This will be a sham of epic proportions.

Watch HughesNet and Starlink walk away with something like $500M+ and provide worse service than they did before. And somehow Comcast and AT&T will pocket a big chunk of this, so they can upgrade fiber in neighborhoods that already have it.
Exactly. The only question I have in mind is what crumbs of actual service will be left after all the corruption is paid. Honestly each decade things get worse and worse with the built in corruption.

Don't worry. Hunter is starting a company that will be laying the fiber and receiving 70% of that $42.5B

Honestly what I would LOVE to see is none of this money go to corporate overlords to decide what to do with it,. That it is given to under served communities to deploy their own fiber rings and sell service to the locals.

Guess what... that rural town that no IT pro would move to... now they have 10 gig connections for their homes for less than 60 bucks a month. Betcha once a few news items like that come out those communities see some growth.

For me to move I almost require a fiber connection with 1 gig minimum. More is better if the price is right of course.

Further... all of these local non compete clauses that have been drawn up need to be deemed null and void. Tomorrow. Let the chips fall where they may.

Further... all of these local non compete clauses that have been drawn up need to be deemed null and void. Tomorrow. Let the chips fall where they may.
I agree. All these "exclusivity" deals between service providers and municipalities need to go away. If another provider wants to come in and lay down their own infrastructure they should be able to do so without having to grease the pockets.

I agree. All these "exclusivity" deals between service providers and municipalities need to go away. If another provider wants to come in and lay down their own infrastructure they should be able to do so without having to grease the pockets.
I didn't know Tim Sweeney was in charge of internet service providings in the US :D

Become a Patron!
Back