NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Sees Lonely Launch in Japan: $299 Ada Lovelace GPU Attracts Single Customer at Major Retailer

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
NVIDIA launched the GeForce RTX 4060 today, but one country that doesn't seem to be too concerned about it is Japan. Heritage Akihabra, a local publication that covers PC hardware, has shared a photo that shows how only one person showed up to buy green team's new $299 Ada Lovelace GPU at one of the country's major electronics chains—in particular, an MSI GeForce RTX 4060 GAMING X 8G. "In the end, one person purchased at the PC studio Akihabara main store," the publication confirmed. Another photo from the @akiba_ten_M account shows how Dospara, another major retailer, was similarly empty. Around 50% of Japanese households do their shopping online, according to Statista.

See full article...

Not really surprised I guess. It's not very exciting seeing an entry level card priced at what used to be a nice mid-tier level.

Not really surprised I guess. It's not very exciting seeing an entry level card priced at what used to be a nice mid-tier level.
The A770 is priced similarly and is slower than the 4060. The RX 7600 is only $30 cheaper and performs similarly without ray tracing, although Brent's review shows it's a lot slower. The better ray tracing performance of the 4060 is probably worth the extra $30.

The A770 is priced similarly and is slower than the 4060. The RX 7600 is only $30 cheaper and performs similarly without ray tracing, although Brent's review shows it's a lot slower. The better ray tracing performance of the 4060 is probably worth the extra $30.
This is all true. None of those are flying off the shelf either though.

I think this is all the other players pricing ~just under~ what they expected the 80% market leader to price at, and the market leader then figures they can afford to charge a premium and prices it ~just over~ what they had.

Ultimately in that whole cycle of circle jerking the price around, I blame nVidia for ratcheting the prices up and everyone else just following the leader because their board won't let them drop the margins down to capture market share.

This is all true. None of those are flying off the shelf either though.

I think this is all the other players pricing ~just under~ what they expected the 80% market leader to price at, and the market leader then figures they can afford to charge a premium and prices it ~just over~ what they had.

Ultimately in that whole cycle of circle jerking the price around, I blame nVidia for ratcheting the prices up and everyone else just following the leader because their board won't let them drop the margins down to capture market share.
I just seeing it as NVIDIA trying to keep their unrealistic 30% margins as wafer cost continues to rise. AMD can't afford it, but as the underdog in the market they're forced to lower their margins to try and compete with NVIDIA.

*cough*

... 65%

That is their gross margin. Net margin:

1688141598943.png

To be fair, this is the way it used to be back when things were normal.

There were no stupid lines at launch time. Retailers stocked up, and people bought GPU's and CPU's when they needed them, much like you might walk into a store and buy a USB hub today. All the hype and artificial scarcity really has ruined the market for PC parts.

It would be best for the industry if the FOMO hype machine were to die, and this becomes the norm again.

I think what really stands out to me is the lackluster performance compared to previous gen.

Entry level? 60 series cards have always been solid mid level. 50 and lower series cards are low end.

I think what really stands out to me is the lackluster performance compared to previous gen.
True, but you're not going to find any 3060 cards for much cheaper at the moment. There are some cheap used 3060 Ti out there, but they're not the norm. The RX 7600 fares a little better against the RX6600 comparatively, but not by much. It's not the reality we want, but it's the reality we live in.

Become a Patron!
Back