Steam Summer Sale 2023 Is Live: Get Discounts on Tons of Games Until July 13, including Steam Deck for Up to 20% Off

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Valve has announced that the Steam Summer Sale is now live, allowing gamers to score some of today's most popular games, including Cyberpunk 2077, Star Wars: Jedi Survivor, and Dead Space, at decently or substantially discounted prices until Thursday, July 13. The Steam Deck, Valve's critically acclaimed PC handheld, is also available for up to 20% off during this sales event, with the 512 GB model now listed for $519.20 (from $649) and the 256 GB and 64 GB models also ready to ship for $449.65 and $359.10, respectively. Headlining Valve's list of top 100 games played on the Steam Deck are Hogwarts Legacy, Vampire Survivors, and Elden Ring, all of which are on sale with up to a 30% discount.

See full article...

These sales seem to have lost there luster for me. The older I get I find it hard to find new games that bring me back to when I first started gaming. I'm not sure if it's an age thing or the games that are being produced now just aren't as much fun. I did enjoy and finish Jedi Survivor recently, so I can recommend that game. I've been thinking about picking up the Spider man game so I may do that.

I haven't lifted a finger in any of these sales for years, since they done away with daily deals and flash sales.
Now it's just boring, with lackluster discounts. Most of the games I've seen for cheaper before, some I bought cheaper years ago than current sale prices.

I honestly don't know who even buys games on steam anymore? The only thing I got there in the past 5-6 years are DLCs literally not available to purchase elsewhere separately.

I honestly don't know who even buys games on steam anymore?
I still prefer to purchase on Steam when I can, but I admit it's more out of inertia than anything - most of my stuff is already there and I use it as a general game launcher for even non-Steam stuff. I bought a couple of things on EGS on a sale once and regretted it, that is slow and I hate having to load it up just to play those couple of things. Same thing with Origin. I haven't touched Ubisoft's launcher, and I remember trying out the Windows Store when it was tied to XBGP and it was a utter ****tastic experience of locked folders and a general giant mess on my hard drives, so I won't be going back to that ever again.

For as bloated as Steam has become, I do use Steam Streaming on occasion, and being able to share libraries with members of my family, and the new download assets from local computers when able thing - I don't mind Steam or find it to be unwieldy.

That said, yeah, the sales are mostly garbage now - all they really do is hand out those not-a-NFT sticker/point things that are utterly pointless.

I haven't lifted a finger in any of these sales for years, since they done away with daily deals and flash sales.
Now it's just boring, with lackluster discounts. Most of the games I've seen for cheaper before, some I bought cheaper years ago than current sale prices.
Those reasons are EXACTLY the issues I've been having with the big Steam Sales for years.

yeah, the sales are mostly garbage now
Yeah they really are. It used to be a lot easier to just wait for a game to hit the sale price I want. Now I have to wait a long time, if it even happens at all. Those insane sale prices used to be one of the biggest draws of using the Steam store. My friends who moved from mainly console gaming to PC gaming during the 7th-gen days really appreciated those sales.

I remember trying out the Windows Store when it was tied to XBGP and it was a utter ****tastic experience of locked folders and a general giant mess on my hard drives, so I won't be going back to that ever again
Yupz, that's how it's always been with UWP games, and that remains the case to this day. I own 3 UWP games and I sorely regret those purchases. I won't ever be doing that sh1t again.

I bought a couple of things on EGS on a sale once and regretted it, that is slow and I hate having to load it up just to play those couple of things. Same thing with Origin
The only reason I have an EGS account was cuz I made it to do Unreal Engine dev stuff, which also requires their launcher. This was before they had a store where you could buy games, or anything really. Then one day they offered a free copy of the PC port of Shadow Complex. That might have been the first game they ever had on EGS, but again there wasn't really a store yet. So I used the launcher to play through that game (was my second time cuz I played and enjoyed it many years earlier via XBLA on X360). Now I just use my EGS account to grab the free games they give away, but I've never really run any of those games through EGS. One game I did run through their launcher was Borderlands 3, which was a game that came with a friend's graphics card, and he already had a free copy from another piece of hardware, so he gave me that 2nd copy. We were doing local co-op in that game for a while. In general I agree about the EGS launcher, I'd just rather not use it.

Origin I've used a few times. Also not great. Also I'll never forget how SW Jedi: Fallen Order (which I received as a gift on Steam) installed an Origin thin client rather than using the full version of Origin I already had installed at the time. This thin client royally f*cked up regular Origin. Trying to remove both was a real pain in the @ss that involved a lot of registry editing/deleting and a lot of time spent in Windows Safe Mode. I haven't used Origin since. Afraid to let it back on my system in any form.

I haven't touched Ubisoft's launcher
I did once, to play a free weekend demo of The Crew 2 on Steam. It was about as bad as all the other ones. This was after it had changed from 'uPlay" to "Connect" or whatever the ended up changing the name to.

By far the worst launcher I have ever used was the Bethesda one. I was in the closed beta for Quake Champions so I had to use it. The launcher made me not even want to play the game. I never even finished the beta testing period. I could NOT uninstall that launcher fast enough. A friend of mine works for Zenimax, the parent company of Bethesda Softworks (so now they are also Microsoft employees). This friend offered me free copies of Doom Eternal and Doom 64 when those games came out. When I found out they were the versions that used the Bethesda launcher, I declined. Doom 64 is only 5 bucks (and worth way more than that) so I just bought it (and has often been on sale for well under $2 often enough), and I got Doom Eternal as a gift (and I'm glad I didn't pay for it cuz that game was a disappointment). Ironically I had also pre-ordered Doom Eternal from Green Man Gaming I think it was (this was before my friend offered me a copy), and when I saw that it was for the Bethesda launcher version, I canceled that pre-order.

the new download assets from local computers when able thing
That sh1t has been pretty cool. Seeing my laptop pull Steam game update data from the desktop PC, and vice-versa.

being able to share libraries with members of my family
And friends. That sh1t has been EXTREMELY helpful over the years. In a day and age where PC games no longer have physical copies, Steam library sharing has become the closest thing to letting a friend borrow a game, or borrowing a game from a friend. I can't stand it when developers configure their games to NOT be able to be shared through Steam library sharing. That's a real dick move.

I still prefer to purchase on Steam when I can, but I admit it's more out of inertia than anything - most of my stuff is already there and I use it as a general game launcher for even non-Steam stuff. I bought a couple of things on EGS on a sale once and regretted it, that is slow and I hate having to load it up just to play those couple of things. Same thing with Origin. I haven't touched Ubisoft's launcher, and I remember trying out the Windows Store when it was tied to XBGP and it was a utter ****tastic experience of locked folders and a general giant mess on my hard drives, so I won't be going back to that ever again.
You misunderstand, I prefer having games on steam over other launchers too. I just don't buy games from the steam store, only from intermediaries who offer much more competitive pricing.

But if a game requires another launcher like ubisoft games, then I'd rather have them on there or not at all. The last few ubisoft games I played I did so using uplay+ or whatever it is called now.

Sounds like I'm in the majority for not caring about Steam's sales, but not for the same reason as everyone else. I choose not to purchase games from Steam and instead throw disposable dollars toward GoG where I can download DRM free game files. I don't need or want Steam to monitor my in-game activities. I don't use GoG Galaxy either for that same reason. Just give me DRM-free downloadable game installation files so I don't need to use a launcher or any other personal information harvesting BS.

I choose not to purchase games from Steam and instead throw disposable dollars toward GoG where I can download DRM free game files.
This is by far the best option.

Just give me DRM-free downloadable game installation files so I don't need to use a launcher or any other personal information harvesting BS.
Which ironically is very similar sailing the high seas. Standalone offline installer and game.

I don't use GoG Galaxy either for that same reason.
It's been very nice that Galaxy is optional, and hasn't been forced upon us. I mess with it from time to time, but I don't depend on it. I think it's still in beta anyways.

Become a Patron!
Back