Far Cry Source Code Leaks Online 19 Years After Release

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The source code for the original Far Cry game, which Crytek released way back in 2004, years before another little-known benchmark called Crysis, is now available for download via the Internet Archive as part of a torrent or zip file. One user has speculated that this leak stems from the effort in bringing support for Ubisoft's game launcher to the game, and it also appears to PC specific, having no Xbox content.

See full article...

Is it that big of a thing? I read this and my first thought was... and? I mean it's nice if you want to get into game dev, especially if they have nicely commented code... but bets are....

Is it that big of a thing? I read this and my first thought was... and? I mean it's nice if you want to get into game dev, especially if they have nicely commented code... but bets are....
The source code is the reason games like the original Doom has had such long legs. It's so sad that id no longer releases their source code after a number of years have passed since Zenimax acquired them. The original Far Cry had numerous outstanding issues after the last patch was released that the community can now go about fixing.

Source code leaks are really nice because the community can go in and fix sh1t, add features, make newer ports for newer OSes, and in the case of non-PC games, make native PC ports (see Super Mario 64's excellent native PC version with mod support that was also ported to Wii U and 3DS, where it runs better on those two systems than the official port on Switch that is part of the Super Mario 3D All-Stars package, and there's also a native PC port of Zelda: Ocarina of Time coming).

The source code is the reason games like the original Doom has had such long legs.
id Software releasing the code to their engines was what allowed source ports to happen. GZDoom and Zandronum for games on the Doom 1 engine. And of course other games like Quake 1 and 2 have source ports. The Marathon series has the Aleph One source port. Source ports are probably the best ways to play older PC games on newer systems and OSes, not to mention expanding the feature sets of these games.

It's so sad that id no longer releases their source code after a number of years have passed since Zenimax acquired them.
Yeah I'm really bummed about that, and also no native Linux versions either.

The original Far Cry had numerous outstanding issues after the last patch was released that the community can now go about fixing.
Yeah, good shiznit.

Become a Patron!
Back