Microsoft Reveals 21M+ Xbox Series X|S Consoles Sold, In-Game Advertising Coming

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Idle Sloth has shared a slide from the ID@Xbox Developer Accelerator Program that reveals over 21 million Xbox Series X|S consoles have been sold since their release in November 2020. The number seems to confirm that Microsoft's hardware isn't selling anywhere near as well as Sony's, whose PlayStation 5 is listed with global sales of over 38 million, per data from VGChartz, although Nintendo Switch blows away both, with a figure of 126 million. Another slide suggests that in-game advertising is coming to Xbox games soon.

See full article...

Really in game advertising... that's been the game makers dream for a while now. Lets see what happens.. Maybe FINALLY I can order a pizza in my MMO and have it arrive in real life.

In game ads, depends on what it is. If theres one thing that will kick me out of gaming forever would be intrusive/ obvious ads. That would be not dissimilar to reading a good book, only to have ads pop out blaring and interrupting.

I am getting an S model just to run it as a emulator. Not going to be playing anything other than that on the console, so the advertising won't be an issue. It does suck that they feel the need to go this route though as all you'll do is annoy the fan base that is loyal to you.

Really depends on how this is implemented.

Such as billboards/signs in the actual game that change based on who's paying to show their product/service would be okay. As long as the game developers don't go stupid with putting these things EVERYWHERE.

Popups, in-game videos, etc... not so much.

Just think of the "ad supported" mobile games out there. 99% of them do them poorly. Some aren't that bad and I can live with it, but most of the time when an ad pops up on some time-killing mobile game I am playing then it gets uninstalled immediately.

I can remember ads similar to that pic in 2142 in Planetside back in the day.

I don't really care about ads in F2P stuff - I know they need to make money. But I despise ads in things I've paid for.

Become a Patron!
Back