PlayStation 5 Slim Is Releasing This Year for $399.99, with a Pro Model Coming Later: Microsoft

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Microsoft has shared a few thoughts about Sony's next consoles during the FTC vs. Microsoft trial, and it seems to believe that the PS5 Slim is releasing as early as this year, for $399.99. This would make the PS5 Slim the same price as the PS5 Digital Edition, a cheaper version of the console that lacks a disc drive. Microsoft also believes that a PS5 Pro is coming in the future.

See full article...

So if there is a pro model, next year, that will also lack a disc drive right?

What will be the price of a disc drive-less pro model — $600 ??

Redesigned base PS4 and the PS4 Pro both appeared about 3 years after the launch of the PS4, so yeah, we would be coming up on the time for a PS5 Slim and PS5 Pro.

Seems pretty sh1tty to call it the "Pro" model without an optical disc drive. I can see the PS5 Slim not coming with a disc drive though. That will definitely help slim it down.

There was a rumor that they were going to make the disc drive external.

Which I think is a good idea - you don't have 2 system SKUs to produce, and those that want a drive can get one easily enough. I'm actually mildly offended that any old USB-based BD drive won't work on these systems.

There was a rumor that they were going to make the disc drive external.
Oh huh, interesting. I wonder if the drive would be usable elsewhere too. For example, the HD-DVD drive for X360 works fine on PC. Not that I need a BD drive on PC, already got one, cuz I'm a weird and I have two optical drives (DVD burner brought over from previous system, and BD burner I got as a berfday gift one year). I rarely use physical media for movies/shows, I prefer BD rips.

Become a Patron!
Back