AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Continues to Expand with Ryzen 3 5100

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Remember when Dr. Lisa Su said that AM4 support will continue for years to come? It seems that she wasn't joking, as in addition to the Ryzen 5 5600X3D, AMD is also planning to expand its older Ryzen 5000 Series with the Ryzen 3 5100, a new Zen 3 Cezanne 4C/8T CPU that can boost up to 4.2 GHz. The specification (and apparent confirmation of the CPU) stems from one of GIGABYTE's CPU support charts, which lists a 65-watt TDP for the lower-ended chip. AMD currently lists 10 Ryzen 5000 Series processors on its official website.

See full article...

This is actually good news I think. There are an awful lot of AM4 systems out there that this would be a low cost easy spot upgrade for - provided you can convince the motherboard manufacturers to put out the BIOS updates needed.

This is actually good news I think. There are an awful lot of AM4 systems out there that this would be a low cost easy spot upgrade for - provided you can convince the motherboard manufacturers to put out the BIOS updates needed.

I don't think they'd need a BIOS update beyond what is currently available to support 5000 series chips. GN touched on this with the 5600X3D not needing a special BIOS if you current BIOS supports the 5800X3D.

Either way, yes, the platform is still quite capable, and hangs with the current gen in a lot of instances. Plus DDR4 RAM is dirt cheap. Can build a pretty baller gaming rig for like half the cost of AM5.

Become a Patron!
Back