LiFi to Deliver 100x Faster Speeds than Wi-Fi

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Global LiFi technology firms pureLiFi and Fraunhofer HHI are celebrating IEEE 802.11bb, a new standard for light-based wireless communications that the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) released today. According to a primer from the official LiFi site, LiFi boasts speeds of up to 224 GB/s, making it 100 times faster than WiFi. "The more light you put in a room, the faster your connection will be."

See full article...

Damnit BOB quit your pacing you keep breaking my LiFi connection to teams!!

Jan turn off your rgb lights they are confusing my LiFi receiver.

What do you mean I can't take my laptop into another room... No LiFi modules?

Sorry Tom you can't use your laptop on this room the LiFi transiever only supports 8 devices at a time.. oh and it's limited to its... Wifi.. singnal speed... So yea..

This tech is WAY to early to be too jazzed about.

Might be good to point to point instead of microwave... But light and atmospheric interference will be an issue.

There is a reason you don't run fiber optic to every device in a office or home network.

Computer room different story.

No mention of range, so I'm willing to bet its quite short. Also is seems LiFi only supports a single device.

I do see it working with VR headsets, so there's that.

In a perfect atmosphere, in a perfectly controlled lab room, sure.

Real world, probably not even 2x.

No mention of range, so I'm willing to bet its quite short. Also is seems LiFi only supports a single device.

I do see it working with VR headsets, so there's that.
That could take 3d acceleration reliably out of the headset. No cords for signals, and with no graphics processor it should be good to run on battery only for a good long while. Huh... neat. I guess if the latency is good enough... I didn't check for that.

That could take 3d acceleration reliably out of the headset. No cords for signals, and with no graphics processor it should be good to run on battery only for a good long while. Huh... neat. I guess if the latency is good enough... I didn't check for that.

Well, yeah like the Vive headset only wireless. Supposedly latency is very low. No figures posted though.

Haven't we had this since the 1950s.. infrared remote controls?
I still have an IrDA port on my HP 48G

Last edited:
Haven't we had this since the 1950s.. infrared remote controls?
I still have an IrDA port on my HP 48G
Actually I think some laptops allowed IrDA network connections back in win98 days.

Wouldn't line of sight be a massive problem with any technology like this?
Yup and it says as much in the article, but just like real light does, it'll bounce around (albeit degraded) so unless you are in near total darkness you should be able to get some sort of coverage.

Become a Patron!
Back