Samsung and Warner Bros. Pictures Team to Bring 8K Movie Trailers to Consumers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung Electronics has announced that it is partnering with Warner Bros. Pictures to showcase 8K movie trailers on Neo QLED 8K screens in more than 65,000 retail stores around the world. There doesn't seem to be any word as to whether these will be downloadable, but some of the 8K trailers that shoppers can expect to see include Barbie, Blue Beetle, Dune: Part Two, Wonka, and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, the new sequel from James Wan that's due on December 20, 2023. Samsung's collection of Neo QLED 8K TVs include the QN900C, which is available in an 85-inch model for $7,499.99.

See full article...

Why? There is no combination of screen size and viewing distance where a screen fits in your field of view, where 8k is going to look better than 4k for film content.

Yea and at 100 dollars a square inch (almost) I don't see the mass consumer appeal here.

Give me a 100ft screen that's all OLED and 8k and I would want to know what the experience was like for movie goers... but just... a tv... not at that price that's for sure. Come back to me when the cost is closer to 10 dollars a square inch.

Yea and at 100 dollars a square inch (almost) I don't see the mass consumer appeal here.

Give me a 100ft screen that's all OLED and 8k and I would want to know what the experience was like for movie goers... but just... a tv... not at that price that's for sure. Come back to me when the cost is closer to 10 dollars a square inch.

Rather than trying to hype 8K I think they'd be better off pursuing higher bitrate encodes at lower resolutions.

At this point 8k is just a marketing number used to sell expensive high end TV's and is of little value to viewers but that many will buy out of FOMO or ignorance because "bigger is always better" right? :p

Why? There is no combination of screen size and viewing distance where a screen fits in your field of view, where 8k is going to look better than 4k for film content.
I recall reading the same argument about 1080p vs 4k, yet here we are...

You can't deny that after some point you are getting diminishing returns, and 8k is probably the case.

I recall reading the same argument about 1080p vs 4k, yet here we are...

You can't deny that after some point you are getting diminishing returns, and 8k is probably the case.

I can't speak to other peoples arguments, but my arguments back then where that at typical screen sizes and viewing distances 4k was not useful in anything but corner cases, but that was considering typical screen sizes and viewing distances used at the time when 4k was new. More people use larger screens and sit closer to them today than in the past.

With 8k, I don't even think there are any corner cases. There is no combination of screen size and viewing distance which makes it useful, unless you are really close and focusing on only a portion of the screen, which is a use case, but probably not for watching movies.

Become a Patron!
Back