Nintendo Switch Successor Launches Next Year with LCD Rather Than OLED Screen: Sources

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Nintendo plans to release its successor to the Nintendo Switch in 2024, but the next-gen system will only feature an LCD display rather than OLED as a way of reducing its costs, according to two sources with VGC. Development kits for the new console have supposedly been sent to certain studios already, and while it's unclear what the system will be called, sources say that the device can be used in portable mode just like the Nintendo Switch. The console is also said to support physical games via a cartridge slot.

See full article...

The OLED screens are beautiful, as long as they give an option for one with OLED that isn't way too expensive I'd hold out for that..

The cartridge slot thing... that's cool. Keep that sort of thing in gaming devices so people can play on an airplane without having to connect to their WIFI.

You know a airline with tethered 'Nintendo' seats at a premium on flights that have a dock able tethered Nintendo switch device could be cool.

A friend borrowed a Switch with an OLED screen, and I got to mess with it, and yyeeaahh that sh1t is pretty f*cking nice. But don't try to play it in the car on a bright sunny day. You can't see sh1t even at max brightness. Still, the IPS screen in the launch-model Switch wasn't bad at all (I heard the LCD screen in the later revision of the normal Switch with better battery life was worse). Best handheld screen I've used in my life thus far (and I been using portable game consoles since the original Game Boy). Well for a handheld console at least. For handheld PC, the only one I've used was Steam Deck's, and I sure could use a higher res and bigger screen for that. But with Switch, the size of the base Switch's screen and its low 720p res has been adequate. OLED one is even nicer though, and I appreciate the slightly larger size. Too bad the res is the same.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a PS Vita, the original model with the OLED screen, so I can soft-mod the f*ck outta it. I really enjoyed my soft-modded PSP and 3DS and I been looking to do a PS Vita for some time. Finances haven't been there for that though. I got a buddy who's gonna sell me his as soon as I get the cash for it.

I still miss the 1440p OLED screen I had in my Galaxy Note 4. My currently Galaxy A32 got a 1080p LCD and it's just okay (90Hz refresh rate though).

Become a Patron!
Back