AMD Plans to Launch “Enthusiast-Class” Radeon RX 7000 Series GPUs This Quarter

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
AMD Chair and CEO Dr. Lisa Su has revealed that AMD plans to launch new, "enthusiast-class" Radeon RX 7000 Series graphics cards in the third quarter. No exact models were specified by the engineer and executive, but many are speculating that Su must be talking about the rumored but very plausible Radeon RX 7800 XT and/or Radeon RX 7800 models. Su shared the news during AMD's Q2 2023 earnings call, which took place yesterday.

See full article...

AMD needs to get on the ball with a true next gen card while Nvidia is riding their wave of software driven performance. But instead... we get more 7 series cards. We should be talking 8 series cards and drumming up hype but no. More of the standard bullshit to milk a market. Pardon my french.

AMD needs to get on the ball with a true next gen card while Nvidia is riding their wave of software driven performance. But instead... we get more 7 series cards. We should be talking 8 series cards and drumming up hype but no. More of the standard bullshit to milk a market. Pardon my french.
I don't entirely disagree, but I'd also note, the 7-series was extremely thin on SKUs, and they never really did fill in the entire product lineup as they have in the past. It really needs some fleshing out to hit all the price and performance points.

You could make the case that it's just taken too long and they should just ignore the rest of the 7000 lineup in favor of high end 8000 series models, but I disagree. I think AMD especially needs to hammer on those mid and lower tiers - the same ones AMD traditionally ha d done well with, Intel has been targeting and nVidia is largely ignoring.

It's hard to beat nVidia at their own game, AMD should play to their own strengths - which in my opinion are those mid to low tiers with the best price/performance points available.

1690997985328.png

I'd agree. In general I don't see AMD being too aggressive in the dgpu part of their business. You can clearly see them being aggressive with Ryzen, with custom solutions for consoles and things like the deck, yet they dont offer an overpowered APU ( of their own) in desktop either.
With dgpus they can't crack the top, they aren't aggressive enough in the middle down either. If fab capacity access was the issue, well guess what, go older nodes for lower end, be agressive about it, about design for the node and be agressive about pricing also. They are not persuing anything hard enough with dgpus. Looks like Intel smells the blood in the water and is going in. If intel gets aggressive enough AMD will be third in no time.

Become a Patron!
Back