Red Dead Redemption Port’s $49.99 Pricing Is “Commercially Accurate,” Take-Two CEO Says

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Is $49.99 too much to pay for a game that came out over 10 years ago? That's what many Red Dead Redemption fans seem to think, having seen the pricing of the new port for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch that Rockstar Games announced this week, but according to Strauss Zelnick, Take-Two CEO, the cost is "commercially accurate." Zelnick, who gave the statement to IGN, also declined to say whether a PC version was in the works.

See full article...

"Commercially Accurate"

wtf does that even mean

Probably translates roughly to "In line with what enough people are willing to pay that this project turns a profit for us".

If they keep this up though, they are just going to lose sales to "community editions".

Commercially accurate is not gonna do when you're dragging your face on concrete.

As I said here: https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...nintendo-switch-on-august-17.13499/post-74714
They can get f*cked. There's already a superior option. I'm not paying that much money for such an old game, and the port is probably not gonna be all that good anyways.
DF took at look at it: https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...nintendo-switch-on-august-17.13499/post-75042
Yeah I was right. I'm better off just running the X360 version of the game on PC via emulation.

DF took at look at it: https://forums.thefpsreview.com/thr...nintendo-switch-on-august-17.13499/post-75042
Yeah I was right. I'm better off just running the X360 version of the game on PC via emulation.

Did they not update any of the models or add any effects in the official port?

If the version from an 18 year old console which was inferior to PC's on the market when it was launched, and history has not been kind to, is equivalent to or better than a re-release, then yeah, that is some really ****ty B's, trying to milk a cash cow. Shame on them.

8th-gen and 9th-gen Xbox only have access to the X360 version (through the back-compat emulation/virtualization layer), which runs at native 4K on 9th-gen Xbox with 16x AF (same as all X360 games running through back-compat, I assume). PS4 version runs at full 4K, with FSR2 used mainly just for AA, similar to nVidia's DLAA. Gives a smoother, more stable image, with less jagged edges and pixel shimmering. You can also choose FXAA instead of FSR2 AA, but that would be a mistake.

PS4 gets a native port while XB1 runs it via X360 back-compat, which means the game looks better on PS4 than on XB1. Base XB1 runs this game with no enhancements, so that means 720p and 2x MSAA. PS4 version looks better due to AF, FSR2 AA, and higher res. PS4 version also has better shadows. Strange that this new 8th-gen port is only for Sony consoles (and Switch).

PS4 version runs on PS5 too, of course. The PS5 basically runs the game exactly like a PS4 Pro. Base PS4 gets the same visuals as PS4 Pro and PS5, but at 1080p. FXAA looks even worse here.

X360 version looks better in terms of colors and contrast. I think PS4 version is too saturated.

XBSS at least runs the X360 version at 1440p. FSR2 AA would be much appreciated here though.

Runs at locked 30fps on PS4 and PS5. There are frame-pacing issues during cutscenes though. This doesn't occur with the X360 version.

Apparently the 7th-gen version had multiplayer of some kind. Well this new port doesn't.

Did they not update any of the models or add any effects in the official port?
Nope, they didn't do jack sh1t! DF could find no other changes between the original 7th-gen version and the 8th-gen port, other than what was listed above. Same texture quality, same character models, same LoD bias and pop-in, same 30fps framerate, etc. The UI elements are still 720p too (except the button icons and prompts, which did get updated)!

Yeah, definitely not a remaster, just a lazy-@ss port from 7th-gen to 8th-gen consoles, and a full-priced one at that. Not even a PC version. The X360 version running via emulation on PC is by far the best way to play the game, and that includes 60fps+. Not to mention emulator tools and mods to further enhance or alter image quality.

If the version from an 18 year old console which was inferior to PC's on the market when it was launched, and history has not been kind to, is equivalent to or better than a re-release, then yeah, that is some really ****ty B's, trying to milk a cash cow. Shame on them.
And that is exactly what happened.

I wouldn't have minded seeing a remake of RDR1 using RDR2's engine. Too much work though. Far easier and cheaper to bust out a low-effort port.

Well at least they corrected the issue on this system. Never should have launched without this support to begin with. Still gonna re-play the game on PC via emulator instead of this sh1t.

Become a Patron!
Back