Immortals of Aveum Reveals New PC System Requirements, Support for AMD FSR 2.2 and NVIDIA DLSS 3 Upscaling Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Immortals of Aveum will support both AMD FSR 2.2 and NVIDIA DLSS 3 upscaling technologies when it launches for PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via the EA App, Steam, and the Epic Games Store on August 22. The news was shared this week by EA and developer Ascendant Studios, which published a blog post Thursday about some of the Unreal Engine 5 technologies that can be found in the upcoming magic FPS, including Lumen for more realistic-looking lighting and Niagara for effects diversity. Ascendant also teased a new Performance Budget Tool that should help players arrive at the ideal settings for their systems.

See full article...

Woooow, so the day has come when a Radeon 5700 XT is the bare minimum requirement. Not sure why they wrote "2080 Super" when a 2070 Super was closer to the 5700 XT. Either way, these cards for 1080p at low settings, well dang. Not that long ago a 5700 XT was a very good 1440p card.

Also I see the true UE5 games are starting to roll out.

Related article: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...nreal-engine-5-hard-and-image-quality-suffers

I don't know sh1t about this game. It's the very first game for this studio. So it uses UE5.1 (and thus makes use of Nanite and Lumen), huh? It's exclusive to 9th-gen (cross-gen shouldn't even be a thing anymore at this point, but some devs are still f*cking doing it), and targets 60fps on all consoles, including XBSS. There's no "quality mode" that targets a higher res but 30fps like a lot of modern console games. From what I gather from DF, it sounds like while the art direction is good, technically the game doesn't always hold up.

Uses FSR2 upscaling (as it seems a lot of console games do these days). PS5 and XBSX target 4K, which means that FSR2 is running in it's lowest mode Ultra Performance, which means upscaling 720p to 4K. There are clear scaling artifacts when in motion, but when standing still, the image resolves pretty nicely. XBSS is upscaling from 768x436p to 4K. As you can imagine, this doesn't work out so well (for example, check out 4:14 in the video). Of course on all 3 systems, FSR2 is adaptive, adjusting res as needed to keep the framerate up. If you are on a 1080p display instead of 4K, then FSR2 uses Quality mode instead of Ultra Performance mode.

God rays render at a low res (look even worse on XBSS), and some effects animate at 30fps which is quite jarring in a 60fps game (like the examples shown at 6:11 and 6:23). Poor XBSS. A game with one of the newest engines available and which targets 60fps XBSS has to cut out a lot of detail and hella lower settings to hit that. Looks like a blurry mess, and wow those shadows (see 8:58). More object/detail pop-in too. PS5 is exactly the same as XBSX, except for one specific place: the title screen, where it has better AO and SSR. On this title screen, XBSS is a full 60fps, XBSX is running in the mid 50s, and PS5 is running in the mid 40s.

Aaahhh, he got a "crash to deskop" on one of the Xbox consoles too.

PS5 and XBSX target 60fps, but sometimes can drop to 50fps or even lower in heavier combat and such (DF observed as low as just under 40fps). Most framerate drops are during cutscenes though. Overall XBSX can keep a 5-10fps lead over PS5 in those heavy areas. When it drops it doesn't tend to drop as far or for as long as PS5. The difference overall is negligible. Those heavy areas drop XBSS into the 30s. But then there are sections where XBSS can actually maintain a higher framerate than either PS5 or XBSX.

I assume DF will be putting out a video for the PC version, so we'll see how that version turns out. I haven't seen any reviews for the game, so I got no idea how people are feeling about it so far. The game wasn't on my radar, and I doubt I'll be trying to check it out any time soon. Still, interesting to see UE5 games starting to come out.

Related article: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...e-better-performance-and-visuals-than-console
Haven't seen this stuff yet, I'll have to check it out later. I already have very little interest in this game though. Still, I'm curious about how most games turn out on PC, even if they are games I have no intention of playing, or checking out any time soon. Also curious about how these early UE5 games are turning out. I see the problem of shader compilation stutter hasn't gone away with UE5, for example.

I have a friend that's been running a TR processor and a 2080 CPU for a long time now... finally on current games at 4k he's finding that he can only run minimal spec so is looking to upgrade. I'd love to see what the new 'it'll "work" but you might not love it' spec is for games today at various resolutions.

Become a Patron!
Back