Dune: Part Two Delayed to 2024 Due to SAG-AFTRA Strike

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Deadline has learned that Dune: Part Two will now be released in theaters on March 15, 2024 instead of November 3, 2023. This is reportedly all thanks to the SAG-AFTRA strike that has been ongoing since July, with actors and other members of the Screen Actors Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists making their case for better pay and working conditions, not to mention other concerns that include talent potentially being replaced by artificial intelligence. Dune: Part Two reunites director Denis Villeneuve with many of the original's stars, including Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, who are reprising their roles of Paul Atreides and Chani, respectively. The original Dune (2021) has made $402,027,830 worldwide.

See full article...

Meh I'll take it. I want to see the second Dune movie no doubt but support the actors actresses and other union members in standing up to the big studios.

They are striking because of low residual payments, but in my book it is exactly the writers who are directly responsible for low residuals, through writing garbage that nobody watches.

If you accepted higher payment up front then you have no rights demanding residuals even if the "content" ends up being hugely successful. You accepted the higher payment to avoid the risk of not getting paid enough in case of a flop.

They sound like they want to reap all the rewards from the few successful products, but do not want any of the responsibility for the flops.

That's just not how the world works. If the studios bow to them then prepare for even worse entertainment going forward, because writers will have even less vested interest to make good products that satisfies the audience, instead of blaming the audience for any failure, or worse attacking the audience even before their crap is released.

If all of the current guild writers were purged out of hollywood then nothing of value would be lost. As for the actors, they are not being kept around for their brains, they are the modern day court jesters, their job is to pretend on screen. They have no real wisdom to pass on to the masses, so they should stop posturing. How tone deaf one can be, who complains that they had to move out of their million dollar homes due to the strike, while most people never owned any home.

As for Dune I have zero cares to give. The first movie was a waste of celluloid, it didn't do anything better or add any meaningful context compared to the 1984 classic. It just padded the runtime to more than double. I watched it anticipating all the iconic scenes, only to get disappointed by some generic fanfic level imitations. Dune 2021 has no artistic reason to exist, and thus by extension part II has neither.

As for Dune I have zero cares to give. The first movie was a waste of celluloid, it didn't do anything better or add any meaningful context compared to the 1984 classic. It just padded the runtime to more than double. I watched it anticipating all the iconic scenes, only to get disappointed by some generic fanfic level imitations. Dune 2021 has no artistic reason to exist, and thus by extension part II has neither.
I have to disagree. Honestly with most of your post. There has been plenty of good content but the drivel does tend to stand out. Then again... you are on brand. ;)

I have to disagree. Honestly with most of your post. There has been plenty of good content but the drivel does tend to stand out. Then again... you are on brand. ;)
Kettle <-> Pot

You say I don't see the good stuff. I say you don't notice when I like stuff.

The few good things are more of an anomaly. And those who write good stories will land on their feet even if the whole cursed guild gets purged.

Ah f*ck, a delay huh? Well no matter, not like I was gonna see it when it came out in theaters. I wait for BD rips. Already had to wait this long since the first movie, what's another several months?

As for the actors, they are not being kept around for their brains, they are the modern day court jesters, their job is to pretend on screen. They have no real wisdom to pass on to the masses, so they should stop posturing.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

My problem with the first movie was that it wasn't a complete movie. It was the beginning of a movie (not even really the first half), and then it just suddenly ended. Yeah when I watched it I didn't know it was a "part 1" and even then, I figured they would have put more into this first part than they actually did. I was expecting to see sh1t that they no doubt saved for part 2.

My problem with the first movie was that it wasn't a complete movie. It was the beginning of a movie (not even really the first half), and then it just suddenly ended. Yeah when I watched it I didn't know it was a "part 1" and even then, I figured they would have put more into this first part than they actually did. I was expecting to see sh1t that they no doubt saved for part 2.
That too. I expected it to be a whole story not half of one. But then it also hasn't shown me anything I didn't already see in the 1984 movie played by better actors, in front of better, non-cgi sets.

Become a Patron!
Back