Intel Unveils Next-Generation Xeon Product Lineup with Performance and Efficient Cores

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Intel has shared the first in-depth look at its next-generation Xeon product lineup, which is built on a new, innovative platform architecture and features processors that leverage Performance or Efficient cores. 5th Gen Intel Xeon processors (code-named Emerald Rapids) are sampling with customers and are on track to launch in the fourth quarter of 2023, while Intel Xeon processors with E-cores (Sierra Forest) are on track for delivery in the first half of 2024. These will be followed by Intel Xeon processors with P-cores (Granite Rapids), which are set to deliver strong performance for critical workloads, including AI.

See full article...

Who in their right mind is going to buy a Xeon with E-cores for clustered virtualization?

You want the most power you can get in the densest form.

Who in their right mind is going to buy a Xeon with E-cores for clustered virtualization?

You want the most power you can get in the densest form.
I just wonder what SQL Enterprise licensing costs will be if you have E cores on a cpu. I'm betting WTF cares it's the same bend you over and call you baby prices..

I just wonder what SQL Enterprise licensing costs will be if you have E cores on a cpu. I'm betting WTF cares it's the same bend you over and call you baby prices..
Exactly. A core is a core is how M$ and VMWare will see them. So you wind up paying more for less.

Give me all the performance so I can stack as many VM's in my environment as possible.

Exactly. A core is a core is how M$ and VMWare will see them. So you wind up paying more for less.

Give me all the performance so I can stack as many VM's in my environment as possible.
Give me 32 cores per socket. And make them all FAST cores. I'll be happy.

Become a Patron!
Back