Thermaltake Launches Toughpower GF3 (1200W) and GF A3 (850W/1050W) ATX 3.0 Power Supplies in Snow Color

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Thermaltake has announced that the Toughpower GF3 1200W Snow and Toughpower GF A3 850W/1050W Snow will be available to purchase in September 2023 at a starting price of $129.99. Representing Thermaltake's first ATX 3.0 PSUs in white, these are fully modular power supplies that feature 80 PLUS Gold certification and a native PCIe Gen 5.0 12VHPWR connector for delivering power to NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards. Users will also find a Smart Zero Fan button next to the power switch for silent operation at lower loads.

See full article...

I want to say this for everyone in this forum.

DO NOT AT ANY PRICE PUT A GOLD OR LESS RATED 1000W OR HIGHER POWERSUPPLY IN YOUR SYSTEM.

You're talking -100 watt in power consumption difference in a higher rating.

I want to say this for everyone in this forum.

DO NOT AT ANY PRICE PUT A GOLD OR LESS RATED 1000W OR HIGHER POWERSUPPLY IN YOUR SYSTEM.

You're talking -100 watt in power consumption difference in a higher rating.
This is mostly true, only if you are actually burning through the rated wattage. Most people - including those around here - very rarely if ever touch the max wattage on a PSU and vastly oversize this component just 'cuz.

Now, that said, what you say is true about using more energy, assuming you believe the PSU vendor is actually meeting the 80 Plus certification rating they are advertising.

But the jump from Gold to Platinum, or even Titanium, isn't all that much. 100W delta on a 1000W PSU would be a full 10% difference at 100% load, or even more at lower load ratings, and you only see that jumping from the basic certification going up to Platinum or beyond.

1693429341831.png

Crap you're right I had it in my head that 80plus gold meant 80% efficient. my bad! Though I do love those titanium numbers...

Become a Patron!
Back