Google Discontinues Pixel Pass Subscription Service

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Google has announced that Pixel Pass will no longer be offered for new Pixel purchases, nor available for renewal, beginning August 29, 2023. Originally announced in October 2021, Pixel Pass is a subscription service that granted Pixel owners access to YouTube Premium, 200 GB of cloud storage, hundreds of games and apps via Google Play Pass, and other perks for a monthly price. Google hasn't provided a clear explanation as to why Pixel Pass is being discontinued.

See full article...

As typical on my part, only know about a service from Google once canceled.
Running this program can't cost them much though, google is weird.

As typical on my part, only know about a service from Google once canceled.

I've had a pixel for like 5 or 6 years and didn't even know this was a thing.

I guess this is why it's being canceled.

Google is a weird company, I agree. Their history of canceling things midstream and churning products and ideas makes me leery to invest anything (time moreso than money) in it at all.

I remember google wave, by the time I talked my company into letting me use it to enable team chat in effect, google had pulled it. The code was still there but it ran like crap and needed too much compute power behind it for a single support team to really use well and absorb the cost.

Google reminds me of those people who have all those "get rich fast" schemes and when it doesn't work immediately they abandon the idea. Even if its a good idea. It's just not successful immediately so they look for other ways to make a quick buck.

Which is weird, considering Google is one of the richest companies in the world.

I think it was to avoid making good on the device upgrade every 2 years promise... given that they pulled the plug just short of the 2 year mark for the program.

Well now it makes sense.

I don't have a Pixel anymore and if that's truly the reason for it (which is definitely seems like it) then I am glad I didn't go with the newer Pixels on my new phone.

I think it was to avoid making good on the device upgrade every 2 years promise... given that they pulled the plug just short of the 2 year mark for the program.
Ah, yes, that may be it, that's the cost they are running away from. Perhaps margins are that much lower on newer devices at the program price or some such.

They should have at least met 1 round of upgrades for the consumer. That's BS. If I had this I would be PISSED.

Become a Patron!
Back