Next DOOM Title Will Seemingly Be Powered by id Tech 8

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Philip Hammer, Principal Engine Programmer at id Software, has revealed that he is working on a new iteration of the id Tech engine called id Tech 8. The update, which Hammer originally shared through his LinkedIn profile but has now been deleted, seems to suggest that the next DOOM game will be powered by this new engine, with both DOOM and DOOM Eternal having been the first titles to leverage id Tech 6 and id Tech 7 when they launched in 2016 and 2020, respectively. Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, teased during a roundtable discussion in 2021 that id Tech adoption might be expanding to other Xbox Game Studios.

See full article...

I had heard that there wasn't gonna be a 3rd Doom game in the current Doom series, and that for their next game id Software would end up going with a different IP. Well regardless, I was a biiiig fan of idTech 6 and 7, so I'm excited to see where 8 goes. As for whatever their next game is, I just hope I enjoy it a lot more than Doom Eternal, cuz compared to Doom 2016 I was pretty disappointed. But good gawd, idTech 7's graphics and especially performance were a sight to behold, that I can't deny. I can only imagine how idTech 8 will turn out.

Become a Patron!
Back