Microsoft Will Leave the Gaming Business If It Can’t Get 100+ Million Xbox Game Pass Users by 2027, Phil Spencer Claims

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Sony and Nintendo will be the last gaming giants standing if Microsoft fails to meet its sales goals for Xbox Game Pass. That's according to Xbox head Phil Spencer, who, as revealed by the FTC v. Microsoft documents that were released and subsequently removed today, told lawyers during a court event that Xbox would "exit the gaming business" if it failed to get 100 million customers to sign up for Game Pass by fiscal year 2027. Spencer mentioned this after he was shown a slide from the devices organization that forecasted 100 million Game Pass subscribers by FY29 and FY30—something that the executive apparently didn't agree with and thought would spell the end for Xbox.

See full article...

As much maligned as I think MS is, I wouldn’t want to see them exit the marketplace.

That said I’m not about to go sub just to prop them up either

it's a bullshit statement and a marketing goal. Honest to god if they keep selling games on Xbox and PC and see steady product growth they will stick with it. Consoles might become streaming devices more or less but as long as games keep selling and people will pay the tax to be on MS platforms... it'll all be good.

Consoles are finally getting to a point where they are generating more PC games... even PC first games are being able to be ported and played on console.

Consoles are finally getting to a point where they are generating more PC games...
Uh...

They have for a really long time. Why do you think for all these years that console games get ported to the PC, and not the other way around.

Here's just one article, but it's nothing new and has been this way for a pretty good while.

The sad part - Mobile dwarves all of that. (also includes PC/Console data, seems to come from same source as first link tho)

Become a Patron!
Back