PSA: NVIDIA GeForce RTX and Intel GPUs Limited to 120 Hz on Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 57″ Dual UHD 240 Hz Gaming Monitor

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
With the release of the Odyssey Neo G9 57″ being just around the corner, now might be a fine time to remind prospective customers that the new monitor, which Samsung has advertised as being the world’s first to support Dual 4K UHD (DUHD) resolution, will seemingly require AMD's latest GPUs to maximize its potential. As noted in an overview of the $2,499.99 display that Quasar Zone user QM Doopa published last month, only Radeon RX 7000 Series GPUs are able to hit 240 Hz in the monitor's maximum resolution of 7680 x 2160, the equivalent of two 32-inch 4K UHD monitors side-by-side. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 40 and 30 Series GPUs, as well as Intel Arc GPUs, in contrast, max out at 120 Hz, a limitation that some have speculated to derive from DSC bottlenecks. "Dual UHD 240Hz is supported only by graphics cards that support Display Port 2.1 (UHBR 13.5) or HDMI 2.1 (FRL 6). Support and actual refresh rate may vary by graphics card," reads a part of Samsung's fine print.

See full article...

So if I am understanding things correctly, they got screwed over with this monitor cuz GeForces are still on DP 1.4 and Arcs are on DP 2.0? Radeons have DP 2.1 and that's why they are okay for this monitor?

I'll give you 20 bucks!
Does anyone want to trade a GTX 1080 Ti for a 55" (or bigger) LG CX, C1, or C2?

OR trade you my 6800xt. ;)
Is a 6800 XT only worth 20 bucks to yah? Cuz I'll give you 20 bucks for that card. I would also be willing to trade the 1080 Ti for it.

Good luck getting more than 120FPS on dual 4K anyway. Heck, you're lucky if you can get more than twenty.

Is a 6800 XT only worth 20 bucks to yah? Cuz I'll give you 20 bucks for that card. I would also be willing to trade the 1080 Ti for it.
Naa that was for comedic impact. :) Though once I replace it I would be willing to trade the 6800xt for a nice OLED monitor/C2 or like TV. ;)

So if I am understanding things correctly, they got screwed over with this monitor cuz GeForces are still on DP 1.4 and Arcs are on DP 2.0? Radeons have DP 2.1 and that's why they are okay for this monitor?

Does anyone want to trade a GTX 1080 Ti for a 55" (or bigger) LG CX, C1, or C2?

Technically it is due to the DSC (Display Stream Compression Stream) support on RTX GPUs, it's broken, or limited, and thus cannot support it due to that, not necessarily due to DP 2.1. The bandwidth is there, but the DSC support is limited.

Lol.

Is there even a GPU in existence that can exceed 120fps at dual 4k resolutions anyway?

This seems like a non-issue.

And who is this for? As all the kiddies who game competitively run on stretched 1024x769 minimum settings anyway because some idiot on Youtube told them "it is better" :p

(That, and insert my standard rant about anything over 120hz being pointless hype that doesn't make a difference)

Become a Patron!
Back