Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty Sales Have Already Surpassed 3 Million, and It’s Largely Thanks to PC Gamers

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CD PROJEKT has posted a few of the key highlights from its recent investor event, revealing that Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty has already sold over 3 million copies since its release last week on September 26 for PS5, PC, and Xbox Series X|S. According to a tweet that the @CDPROJEKTRED_IR account shared during the event, 68% of those sales were for the PC version of the game, with 20% and 13% for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions, respectively. CD PROJEKT mentioned that it spent over $60 million developing Phantom Liberty and $21 million marketing it, resulting in a total that adds up to about half of what it cost to develop Cyberpunk 2077.

See full article...

Wondering how much more it would've sold if they hadn't released it on top of Starfield?

I don't think I'm the only person who put off buying phantom liberty because I'm still occupied by Starfield.

I can't remember, did they retrospectively include Phantom Liberty with a purchase of the original game, or is it a new purchase?

I can't remember, did they retrospectively include Phantom Liberty with a purchase of the original game, or is it a new purchase?

Hmm.

Looks like it is paid DLC. $29.99

I could have sworn that CDPR said they'd make the next expansion free to make up for the ****ty launch of the game, but maybe I am remembering things wrong.

As long as Phantom Liberty isn't significantly shorter than the original game, I'll happily pay $29.99 for it.

As long as Phantom Liberty isn't significantly shorter than the original game, I'll happily pay $29.99 for it.
Which I seem to recall being around the standard pricing for expansion packs back in the day. Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone has a normal price of $10, and that was probably more content than most devs would add to their games for 2x or 3x that price. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine normally costs $20, and let me tell you, that sh1t was basically Witcher 4. So I'm inclined to believe that this CP2077 expansion for $30 has an insane amount of content in it.

I could have sworn that CDPR said they'd make the next expansion free to make up for the ****ty launch of the game, but maybe I am remembering things wrong.
Now that you say this, it does seem vaguely familiar to me. But like you, I could be remembering things wrong.

Now that you say this, it does seem vaguely familiar to me. But like you, I could be remembering things wrong.

Maybe they were referring to the Edgerunners DLC.

I had no real interest in that.

Which I seem to recall being around the standard pricing for expansion packs back in the day. Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone has a normal price of $10, and that was probably more content than most devs would add to their games for 2x or 3x that price. Witcher 3: Blood and Wine normally costs $20, and let me tell you, that sh1t was basically Witcher 4. So I'm inclined to believe that this CP2077 expansion for $30 has an insane amount of content in it.

That is good to know.

I never really played the Witcher series. People kept saying it was good, but I just couldn't get into it. This was in large part because I am allergic to both third-person view games, and to anything in the fantasy genre.

Considering the Witcher series is essentially a third person fantasy game, it was never going to work for me.

They did promise free DLC, but near the end of 2021 they first delayed then completely cancelled all free expansions, and in 2022 they said phantom liberty will be the only expansion and it will be paid.

I get a feeling that if Phantom Liberty makes a trillion dollars, more DLC will suddenly appear....

Sure if it sells 25 billion copies..

I don't know. I'd imagine that now that they have fixed the base game, incremental DLC additions will be much lower barrier to entry, and of this DLC sells well (and it looks like it is) I can see them changing their minds.

The hardest/most expensive part for them is over at this point.

I don't think anyone will ever resurrect the online GTA style experience that was talked about during development. That is probably dead and buried, but if they can create new popular content at a reasonably low incremental cost, they would be silly not to.

I never really played the Witcher series. People kept saying it was good, but I just couldn't get into it. This was in large part because I am allergic to both third-person view games, and to anything in the fantasy genre.

Considering the Witcher series is essentially a third person fantasy game, it was never going to work for me.
I feel yah there with the fantasy part. I'm a sci-fi guy. In general fantasy is not for me. However I have enjoyed some media properties (games and movies) that were fantasy-based. Peter Jackson's LotR movies come to mind. I did enjoy Witcher 2, and I really enjoyed Witcher 3. But you can imagine how much I was looking forward to CP2077, which I still haven't played yet. I intend to, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted to see that CDPR magic sauce put to use with a sci-fi universe.

Doesn't matter what other people say, if a game/series/genre is not for you, then it's not for you. For some f*cking reason, people seems to love the Souls-like games, especially FromSoftware's Demon Souls and Dark Souls series. Those games aren't for me. I can't get into 'em. MMOs are like that for me too. I don't play horror games, never found them to be even remotely fun. So yeah we all got certain types of games we just don't vibe with. If you gave it a shot and it didn't work out, well then so be it, life goes on. There's enough sh1t to enjoy among the stuff one does like anyways.

I feel yah there with the fantasy part. I'm a sci-fi guy. In general fantasy is not for me. However I have enjoyed some media properties (games and movies) that were fantasy-based. Peter Jackson's LotR movies come to mind. I did enjoy Witcher 2, and I really enjoyed Witcher 3. But you can imagine how much I was looking forward to CP2077, which I still haven't played yet. I intend to, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted to see that CDPR magic sauce put to use with a sci-fi universe.

I'm primarily a sci-fi guy too, I value a good scifi game much more than any fantasy. There are only a few exceptions where I really liked a fantasy game namely: TESIV Oblivion, Dragon Age 2, and Assassin's Creed Odyssey. These were the standout ones for me. I tried a lot more but they were meh for some reason or other.

There were a lot of disappointed voices who wanted CP2077 to be a sci-fi Witcher 3. I was the exact opposite, I wanted it to be nothing like the Witcher. And it really isn't hence the disappointed voices.

I tried desperately to get into the witcher, and the most success I had was with Witcher 2, I played that for about 6-8 hours before calling it quits. The common denominator between all three games for me was Geralt's character, I just couldn't stand him. He is a giant douche. It didn't help that the gameplay wasn't stellar in any of the games either.

CP2077 on the other hand is a very good FPS and immersive sim, so even if the story or characters couldn't carry it, it would've been worth playing on its own merit. My biggest gripe with the game is that the character of Johnny Silverhand basically steals your thunder, everything revolves around him, this is his story, not yours. And the ending is so bitter, no matter what, that it completely erased my desire to re-play the game. What easily could've been 4-5 playthroughs ended up being just the one. I started a few new characters, but only pursued side missions and collecting cars, basically anything that had nothing to do with the main story and Johnny Silverhand.

This is why I'm reluctant to get into Phantom Liberty, IDK how it ties into the story, is it just a side hustle you get mid game, or does it address the ending at all? And if it does, is it in a satisfactory way, or only by adding insult to injury? I'm more afraid of being disappointed than my desire to play it.

Doesn't matter what other people say, if a game/series/genre is not for you, then it's not for you. For some f*cking reason, people seems to love the Souls-like games, especially FromSoftware's Demon Souls and Dark Souls series. Those games aren't for me. I can't get into 'em. MMOs are like that for me too. I don't play horror games, never found them to be even remotely fun. So yeah we all got certain types of games we just don't vibe with. If you gave it a shot and it didn't work out, well then so be it, life goes on. There's enough sh1t to enjoy among the stuff one does like anyways.
It boggles my mind that some people consider fromsoftware games masterpieces. They are mindless, soulless exercises in frustration. They are built like videogames of the 80s and early 90s. No compelling storytelling, no character development, no player choice, just a simplistic beat em or shoot em up. I'm sorry, but that's just not enough for me anymore.

People have the gall to compare Armored Core 6 with Starfield. That's like comparing a wheelbarrow, to a hypercar.

Last edited:
Very well said. Can't make everyone happy with every game all the time.

Become a Patron!
Back