PS5 Slim and PS5 Slim Digital Edition Announced with 1 TB SSD and Detachable Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
PlayStation has announced that the PS5 Slim and PS5 Slim Digital Edition will be available starting this November in the U.S. at select local retailers and direct.playstation.com. The new consoles, which are priced at $499.99 USD and $449.99 USD (a $50 increase), respectively, feature a new four-panel design, a smaller form factor of over 30%, a 1 TB SSD, and a detachable Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive that, while included with the standard edition, will also be available separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY for those who purchase the Digital Edition and later realize that physical media still exists. A horizontal stand is included with the new PS5 model, but a new Vertical Stand that's compatible with all PS5 models will also be available for 29.99 USD | 29.99 EURO | 24.99 GBP | 3,980 JPY.

See full article...

PS5 got liposuction?

EDIT:
WAIT, so the new version of the disc-less PS5 is $50 more than the outgoing version?! Also I can't help but notice that while the PS5 lost weight, it's prices did not. By this point in the PS4's lifecycle, it could be found for 50% of its launch price. Of course the PS4 Pro came out to keep a version of the PS4 at the original launch price. Still it wasn't long before even that model was $100 off.

Last edited:
With the era of exclusives behind us (thankfully) there is absolutely no reason to own a PS5 if you already have a gaming PC.

I only purchased 7 games for the PS4 while I had it, and 4 of those is already on PC, one will be soon enough, and the remaining two being utter disappointments anyway, so missing them wouldn't have been an issue.

With the era of exclusives behind us (thankfully) there is absolutely no reason to own a PS5 if you already have a gaming PC.
That is EXACTLY what I am hoping for. I've had at least one console every generation since the 2nd generation (and a lot of those generations I had every console for the generation). I'm hoping 9th-gen will be the first one that I completely sit out.

My last 2 consoles: Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo. After that, I said if you couldn’t make your game for PC, I wasn’t interested in it

I don't get why the made the disc drive detachable on one, but external on the other. Why go to all the engineering to make it "detachable" in the first place?

1697044272181.png

Become a Patron!
Back