Analogue Announces New N64 Console That Can Play Every Game in 4K

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Analogue has shared the first teaser images for the Analogue 3D, a new and modernized version of the N64 that will not only feature 100% compatibility for every N64 cartridge from any region, but also allow them to be played at resolutions up to 4K—a significant improvement over the original console's 320×240 to 640×480 display output. According to a website that Analogue set up today to tease the device that's coming in 2024, the Analogue 3D will run N64 games without any sort of emulation, pairing them with modern technologies and features that include wireless connectivity (i.e., Bluetooth and 2.4 GHz), Analogue OS, an updated controller, and support for OpenFPGA, a key component in Analogue ongoing efforts in helping preserve video game history. Users can also expect four controller ports that mimic the ones that can be found on Nintendo's original 1996 console, as well as original display modes, including those that offer "reference quality recreations" of select CRTs and PVMs.

See full article...

I've always loved Analogue's FPGA consoles, but they've been too expensive for my tastes, especially since I still have and use the original systems. I don't have any of their FPGA consoles (which were all programmed by Kevtriss which is why they are so f*cking accurate), but Analogue got their start as Analogue Interactive, converting Neo-Geo MVS arcade systems into "consolized" versions for convenient home use, and I own one of those "C-MVS" units.

The first Nt console used REAL NES chips on a custom PCB, in an aluminum shell. Obviously they didn't have many of these to sell. Then they moved to the Nt Mini, which was an FPGA NES console. That was pretty cool. But what I really wanted from them was their Super Nt (SNES) and Mega Sg (Mega Drive/Genesis). I kept putting it off for years, until finally they were no longer sold. Ah well. I really needed a Super Nt too, cuz my SNES' CPU died ages ago, and my Super Famicom has a broken trace for the vRAM chip. I've been borrowing a Super Famicom for years, but I wouldn't need to if I had a Super Nt. The prices on the Super Nt and Mega Sg were the most agreeable prices Analogue ever had for any of their systems. I was a fool to sleep on those units.

Analogue Pocket is a really handy (and expensive) modular portable game console. They also got a version of the NEC Turbo Duo coming out. For those not familiar, the Turbo Duo was a unit that combined the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 console with its CD-ROM add-on drive into one unit. Basically a TG16 with the CD drive built-in. Analogue announced it years ago, but it still hasn't come out yet. But now they are working on an N64 console. Seems like they are getting ahead of themselves. I hope Kevtriss is still the one developing it.

I would love all of these FPGA consoles, but I stick with the original systems and emulation because I am poor. Well except for TurboDuo, I don't own one of those. And as much as they cost, I might be better off with Analogue's version. Feels wrong to own the fake version of a console before I own the real one though. And emulation stops my broke @ss from spending money even on the real version.

Become a Patron!
Back